1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY for under engine splash guard and spoiler?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by anthonylokrn, Apr 15, 2011.

1. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anybody know of or have a guide to replace the under engine splash guard and spoiler (Part# 17 and 19 on Parts.com front bumper illustration)?

I just purchased a '05 Prius and the last owner curbed the front bumper thus breaking most of the attachment points on the bottom of the bumper and splash guard.

I see the exploded illustration but it is not very detailed.

Any help please?

Thanks,
    Anthony

kenoarto likes this.
  2. Wingding

Wingding Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DITTO!
    I certainly have the same issue and have searched the internet pretty good.
    I have both half's of the engine splash guard. Now I notice 2001-2003 are different.2004 and 2005 hopefully are the same. Not sure how far it goes but there is a definite change somewhere in there.
    Here's a photo of the 2 half's....and 2 other side shields I am not even sure where they go.... but I suspect they may have something to do with the radiator side's... {havent gotten that far yet}

It's metal rail - energy absorber- Bumper cover- Then comes the tricky part- there's that ''Spoiler" #17 and the "other" splash guard #19 {which blew out of the truck on the way home from the salvage or Id have a photo of that too!}
    Now that 2 part engine shield along with splash shield{#17} and the Spoiler {#19} attach to the Bumper cover through those clip on grommets and the screw.
    The question Im sure you {and me} want to know and see is a diagram on how all that is sandwiched together.What comes first and 2nd and so on.

Unfortunately the "bentley" has no diagram's that are that detailed.

I'll keep searching the internet but if I cant find anything the best thing would be to have the good fortune of another 2004-2005-? sitting around that you could take a peek at... which probably like me is almost zero chance.

A extensive search of prius chat turns up a thread on a 2010 engine shield with nice detailed photo's but it is totally different and not going to help us.
    Considering this is 10 days old.... You might have figured it all out!!! ...... If so.... Let me know how you did it?

Attached Files:

ccna101, cthorsman and kenoarto like this.
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Toyota shop manual shows all you want in "exterior" section. Go online and subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com. It will cost you $10-$20 but will give you good diagrams.
    The undertrays for 2004 to 2009 are all the same. Earlier cars are GI and different. Later cars are GIII and different.

Screaming Red and Pris like this.
  4. judywalls

judywalls Junior Member

5. Don402

Don402 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Reviving this thread.

[​IMG]
    What is #4? Bumper Cover Bracket P/N:5214721010. Is there only one?

I'll be replacing #17 and #19. Were the items attach to the bumper cover looks lie a puzzle. it will probable be easy once i get under and start putting everything together.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the front bumper section from the Repair Manual:

Attached Files:

jbmbenjamin likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The splash shield right behind the bumper is probably busted up too. That usually takes most of the curb rash. That the most important shield as it prevents fod damage to the condenser in front of the rad.

9. Don402

Don402 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  10. ccna101

ccna101 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Mendel.

My latest (used) gear coming in with both L/R busted and interestingly enough : no longer sale on dealer ... LOL. Time for ebay and amazon.

11. ccna101

ccna101 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i installed an Ebay fender liner and the fit was poor. Don't know if they are all bad, but the one I had was too small. Rather than fitting nicely into the fender like the original it had what look like chords (as in geometry, not music) between the fastener points.

I tried finding a used one in the LKQ yard but most of the gen 2 Priuses there were junked because of front end damage and this part was trashed in those. There were a couple of cars that had been mashed in the back, but the liners were already off the cars by the time I got to them. So probably easier to buy a used OEM one from Ebay than to find one in a junk yard.

ccna101 likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  14. ccna101

ccna101 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, I did not think about it... I will let ya all know ...

15. carbroombroom

carbroombroom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you know what kind of bolts are used to attach these? Mine are fine (albeit with some warping and a couple of holes) but the bolts holding them in were completely rusted last time I got an oil change, so we had to pitch them.