1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY - Front and Rear Brake Change - Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SunnyPriusGA, Oct 25, 2020.

1. SunnyPriusGA

SunnyPriusGA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello Prius Folks!

I'm trying to change the brakes on a 2004 Prius 210k and had a few questions.

General Procedure:
    • Park car, have Key Fob in the house (far away from car), remove the 12v battery terminals so that the ABS Actuator doesn't charge the lines, and wait about 5 mins
    • Change front brake pads (Pads only)
    • Change rear brakes (Shoes, New Hardware Kit [Not needed but wanted to put in new hardware], Wheel Cylinder Rebuild Kit [Not needed but want to have it refreshed], Drums not changed... but should I?)
    • Need help to clarify:
      • Once all of the brakes have been processed, I plan to use Techstream's bleeding process so what is the general process to get back on the road?
      • I think this is the general steps but correct me if I'm wrong:
        • Connect 12v battery
        • Bring Key Fob back within proximity, tap the power button twice (without the foot brake pressed as to not turn the car on)
        • Connect Techstream to car and start the bleed process starting from the Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right
    • Is all of the above correct?