1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY: HID Install for H11

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by A.Reyes, Feb 28, 2015.

1. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is my at attempt at a DIY for any situation. After I took the pictures, I think a video would have been better.

This is DIY for people looking to save a few bucks and install their own HIDs. Its really a simply process.
    I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY HAVE HAPPENED DURING THE INSTALL!!

Materials used:
    Morimoto 35watt HID H11 KIT
    Latex gloves
    Alcohol pads

Let me start of by saying this is my way of doing it. I'm sure there are others, but this one is mine.

Lets begin.

These are some pictures of the halogens from my other car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lets open up the hood and look to see where your headlight bulb is located.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bulb is located on the upper part of the housing assembly.
    [​IMG]

Start by unplugging the bulb, and twist the bulb counter clock wise and pull out.
    [​IMG]

The correct HID bulb the Prius is H11B, well I don't have the H11B I have the standard one. I used a dremel to trim off one of the tabs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Use the alcohol pad and and wipe down the bulb to ensure there are no foreign substances on the bulb

Place the bulb into the socket of that halogen bulb and turn clockwise to lock it in place.

Assemble the ballast by plugging the wires in the correct plugs. One socket 2 pins, and one has 3. Trust me the 2 pin wont fit in the 3 pin. I've tried it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take the 2 plugs from the HID bulb and connect it to the ballast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now take the to pins from the HID bulb and connect it the the stock bulb harness. The Black and White is ground and the purple is Power. Grab some electrical tape and wrap it up a few times.
    [​IMG]

Now that the Driver Side is done go ahead and give it a quick op-test. Should have started.

Now repeat for the passenger side.

As far as ballast location, I wedged it in between the fuse box for the driver side and for the passenger side wedged it between the coolant overflow tank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have this kit for a little over 2 years. I must say this is a very expensive, but very well worth the money. I've had a few of the ebay specials, but didnt seem have the same quality as these morimoto kits. With these new revised ballast, they actually have a much faster warm up. The color output is slightly higher, but it very minimal. I run the 5000K for that more pure white look. I will never go above 6000K. I love these kit, and will continue to use these and recommend them to anyone. The folks at RetroFitSource are as proffesional as you want them to be. I've ordered a few set of projectors, and HID kits and have never been let down.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, and I will try to help in anyway possible.

#1 A.Reyes, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    slowpriusj likes this.
  2. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    saved for pictures

3. Robert Bo

Robert Bo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Howdy. Well I did pretty much what you outlined, except I used the matching plug from the kit to Atari to the OEM receptacle. Not sure where I went amiss and now I have only high beams. Any advice-suggestions would be appreciated.

2013 V

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Robert, try and flip the oem plug around 180 degrees, you might have plugged it in with the polarity reversed.

5. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What he said. I've done that before. It normally fixes it.

Make sure that the wires from the HID bulb are connected to the cars harness as well

I believe purple is Ground(-) and White is Power(+)

6. whtan20

whtan20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the ballast location, when you say you wedged them in between the fuse box and overflow tank did you use screws or double sided tape?

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the OP, under materials, it lists latex gloves... none of the subsequent pictures show latex gloves... am I missing something? ;) ;) :D

Sorry, just being a wise@ss :D

8. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didnt noticed that. I think I had the intentions on doing so...but never did. hahaha.

9. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't worry about gloves. Just wipe the bulb over with rubbing alcohol before inserting it to ensure you get all the contaminants off first. ;)

10. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Can you show a picture of the beam pattern? Such as a picture of the light cutoff on a wall or garage door?

iPad ?

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lots of pictures of the cutoffs of the oem projectors fitted with aftermarket HID bulbs. Not razor sharp like you get with retrofitted HID projectors like the Morimoto mini H1 kit from The Retrofit Source, but good. Except for the squirrel finder cutouts in the oem projectors, which can be properly addressed to remove glare above the cutoffs, the cutoffs are good.

12. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The beam pattern isnt well, but it provides brighter lighting.
    I would show you a picture of the cut off, but I'm cant. I'm currently on a short 6 month deployment.