1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY JDM style side mirrors combo lights (Signal+Parking+Courtesy lights)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CivicSky, Feb 23, 2011.

1. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, has anybody installed the power folding option yet? I am planning on getting that, but wondered if anyone else had done it to get more info on the process....

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Zedknepplin covered all the seams with electrical tape and reported still hearing the wind noise, indicating that the wind noise has always been there and it's a placebo effect, just like tinted windows making the interior quieter. It's natural to notice it more when our new toys are right outside of the windows. You're going to get wind noise with the windows down regardless of what car you have. Some people even complain of excessive wind noise in the Prius and this was with stock Prius.

Also see http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-wind-booming-while-driving-windows-down.html
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/91553-cant-drive-windows-down-noise.html

3. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just did an extensive 700+ mile road trip with a sleeping 16 month old infant in the back... Sat radio was set to 4 on the volume level. Didn't notice the whistling at all. However, I was traveling at a good rate of speed and at that point, the tire drone was the most noticeable sound (I have upsized 16s).

4. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have decided to move forward with this project. I have ordered my JDM style side mirror combo lights. Expect to receive parts in about 15 days. Purchase from e-Bay following Spiderman footsteps. I would like to be completely ready for this, is there any pre-checklist of all the parts and materials and tools that I need to purchase a head of time?
    There are lots of pictures and wire diagrams not sure if there’s a final source of information that I should review prior to performing installation.
    Please PM any documents you may feel that would be of value for me to review prior to my adventure.

5. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just finished a 5000 mile road trip and i never had whistle noise. My install was a breeze and i have to say Nigel's lights look great and I'm very satisfied :rockon:

6. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have installed wires for LED turn signal mirror upgrade and upgraded under light dash to be green instead of amber. Mirrors are on their way. Found on eBay. Last time I checked there are 3 evadable for $109.00 +20 dollar shipping, I pad another 20 dollars for paint. Got a tracking number… can’t wait!

7. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone purchased those before? Is the wiring the same? And how is the quality? You got a link?

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    PRIUS 2010-2011 LED mirror cover turn light lamp WHITE | eBay

A few people have purchased from that ebay seller (spiderman, Shawnb, etc.) and yes, they're the same product. You risk long-term durability with the $20 paint job, but spiderman has had them for a few months with no issues.

1 person likes this.
  9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In fact I plan to wash and wax soon and after a summer of bugs, I think that will be a pretty good indicator of the quality. Will post pictures as soon as I get some decent weather.

10. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd like to know how the paint holds up as well. I've got that eBay seller on my watch list. :)

11. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Me too! haha we are going to have the same mods at this rate lol

12. XMAN LIVE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will provide pictures of mirrors before and after installation. I am thinking about getting a car wrap, if I do actually get the car wrap the paint on the mirror will not show. I did review Spiderman’s photos and only a very small blemish was noticeable in the photos, Spiderman’s car color is pearl white, this color the dealer charges extra for, I would think this color is harder to match than 1F7 Classic Silver Metallic. Mirrors are in ISC SAN FRANCISCO already… Estimated Delivery 08/22 – 9/02… should have more information soon!

13. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think a few months is going to show any paint defects. It takes years of sun abuse for bad paint job to show. I'd give it at least 3 years under the sun before passing judgment

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe, but it can be much worse. This member had to spend $130 repainting his mirrors after the $30 paint job started chipping off in less than three months.

15. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I say wrap them in carbon fiber :D I have a roll tucked away for a rainy day.

I sent a message to the seller asking if he had silver, her responded asking if my color code was 1F7, I said yes. We'll see if he has colors, or is painting them on the fly. If he's painting them on the fly, I think I'd let them sit a while before I installed them.

16. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    he'll paint them to match for an additional $20. Make note of your color code in the PayPal note, he'll send a second invoice for the extra $20. Add 3 days...

I still think I'd rather wrap them in carbon fiber, just for kicks.

17. graybadge

graybadge grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just purchased a set from the ebay seller in post #428. I requested the $20 paint job in 070 Blizzard Pearl. If it doesn't hold up, I'll try wrapping in cf...

THERE'S ONLY ONE SET LEFT in his ebay listing. He who hesitates is lost.

Thanks to 32kcolors and CivicSky (is that Polish? ;)) for sharing the info. Cheers!

18. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    He's checking on the price for the whole folding mirror set-up right now. (So, I, too, am happy to have been told about this seller!) He said that the motor, which is the expensive part, from another Toyota model works perfectly, is WAY cheaper than the motor sold specifically for the Prius, and is being used by others for the conversion with no problemo..... So, might give that a whirl, depending on the final things he puts together and prices for me...

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    With the folding mirrors and over 10K worth of body add-ons, you're going to have the most expensive Prius here for sure.

20. a1rjumpman23

a1rjumpman23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm deciding if i should get folding mirror set up or just regular mirror lights. Any suggestions?