1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY JDM style side mirrors combo lights (Signal+Parking+Courtesy lights)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CivicSky, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just to confirm; A pillar "blue" wire to puddle light "white" wire?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wish I would have just wrote all this up in a document like all my other mods... The earlier pages of this thread have pretty good info.

3. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've skimmed over the 60 pgs. Just trying to figure out if I have the wiring correct.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK post 370 and 373 talk about the puddles. The white wire goes to a constant positive source and the blue is negative for the puddles.

1 person likes this.
  5. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well lights are working like a champ thanks to post #357!!! I had no idea that the car uses negative triggers for everything. Thanks to all of you who posted to this post! Without the 600+ post on this topic I would be so lost. Speaking of the wind noise....I used weather installation/stripping that you can get at your hardware store. I basically just fitted the installation and provided a gap between the edge and where the seal is. I also had to trim the height of the seal. As it did not provide enough squeeze room between the mirror housing and cover. Another mod bites the dust only a few more to go. :D So Happy!!!!

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad you got it!

7. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks buddy!:D

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey, now that you are the in house expert... perhaps you could write up a document? :)

9. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't see why not. I'll take pics and maybe do a video for you guys. I'll work on it in the AM. Post it as soon as I can.

10. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been dreading installing mine because didn't we decide in a previous post that wiring on the different Prius (I, II, III, IV, and V) models varies (i.e., wiring on the II is different than that on a V)...? So, it's hard to reach a definite "conclusion" thru all the zillions of posts, which wire to tap for a certain funtion (if there even is that wire on your specific Prius model), and where exactly it is located....

11. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Brother I feel you with that. I'm not sure either but I do know the turn signals and the pilot light should be in the same spot. I would suggest if you have a voltmeter to use it. That's what I did to verify the proper volts and signals. For example when the turn signals are on the meter jumps if you will. Wouldn't hurt to take some panels apart and see if they look the same. I'm in the process of making a video right now to show what I did on my car and yes it is a V. I will admit the turn and pilot lights were easy compared to the puddle light. I hope my video will help you and everyone else. Rather see how someone did it compared to pictures.

1 person likes this.
  12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ well, Philatc tapped into the A-Piller wiring for the puddles and that should be the same for all models. The rest of it should be the same for all models. Granted there were a few alternatives mentioned throughout the thread.

1 person likes this.
  13. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, the A-pillar thing is a definite then. I guess I'd just like someone to say DO THIS for the remaining wiring (and be specific), and then be able to block out all these other random methods people have tried that you'd consider as just being 'alternatives'. If I avoided any of the 'alternatives', and I used the A-pillar wiring for the puddles, then do you know which specific posts would precisely tell me the steps for the remaining wiring? I wouldn't have waited over 6 months to do this, if I had had that..... All this other stuff in this thread has confused my brain! lol! I wish we could somehow delete everything in the thread except the exact steps for everyone to do....and then make it sticky!

14. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey buddy don't worry I'm uploading my vids right now on my install. It will take some time for the vids to load but once they do watch and ask away. I really hope this helps with your install. PM me if you have questions on how to remove the mirror housing or the mirror it's self. The install is way worth it but its not a simple thing to do. I was in your same position and afraid of messing something up.

1 person likes this.
  15. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I'll update the post to show the right side connections for everyone. The only thing that is connected on the right side is the right turn signal. As I ran the puddle light and pilot light wires to the drivers side to connect with the left side. Just ran the wires under the dash. You'll see in the video when I get it uploaded today. Hope this helps everyone! :D

While I was under the dash on the drivers side and saying "dome light" I meant to say foot well light that's orange, sorry about that guys.

Alright instructions: The wire lay out for pilot/turn signal lights
    Blue wire, red wire and black
    Blue wire is your "pilot light" red is for "turn signal" and black is your common ground for each. As you can see in my video I've connected the blue wire to a "brown" wire on the ecu. It's the only brown wire in that connector and you can see it in the video. I then routed the right side pilot light wire over to the left side and connected the two. Again you can see that in the video. The common ground between these three wires (blue,red,black) which is the black wire. Which was connected to the car ground again you can see that in the video. Now the turn signal wire (red one) was connected to the yellow wire coming out of the connector in the video. You are able to verify the wire by simply turning on your turn signal or hazards and seeing if the voltmeter jumps as the lights turn on. On the right side I placed the common ground on the frame and connected the red wire to the green wire. The green wire is in the same place as the yellow one on the left side. I'll post a video of that to show the wire. Now the puddle light wires.

Alright instructions: The wire lay out for puddle light
    Black and white wires
    Black wire is going to connect to the A frame "blue" wire. As said before there is only one blue wire to connect to in the A frame and that's the one. The white wire, which I ran to the foot well lighting, needs to be connected to a 12v+ continuous source. I used the foot well light because that is what you guys suggested and of course it worked. I taped the wire and connected the right and left sides for the puddle light. The black wire from the right side was also routed over to the left side and connected to the blue wire.

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good job. What you might want to do is start your own thread with a similar title and link back to this thread, so people don't have to search for the videos.

17. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I guess I could but I don't want to take the credit as everyone else on this post made it happen for me. I took the leap and it ended in success. I figured these videos would help the others who want to do it but are a little afraid of attempting it.

18. jaredy

jaredy Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Philatc .... Why does your interior light look so neon blue? I mean your screen dash...:D

19. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was bored one day...hehe ;D

20. sofistikats

sofistikats New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    will installing these mirrors void my warranty?