1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY JDM style side mirrors combo lights (Signal+Parking+Courtesy lights)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CivicSky, Feb 23, 2011.

1. sLick415

sLick415 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just a heads up for those of you who bought them from MIT Accessories, it doesn't come with the screws to mount the light housing onto the mirror housing. It still holds up even without the screws, but obviously theyre more secure with the screws than without.

Also unless youre planning on routing all the passenger side wires over to the driver side, youre gonna have to make a run to a local shop and pick up some more quick splice connectors. The package only came with 4. In my case, I wanted to minimize wiring by keeping the wires to their own sides, so I didnt have enough connectors.

2. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I havent installed mine yet, did you add in your own screws or you just mounted the light housing without the screws ?

thnx

3. sLick415

sLick415 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I left mine without screws. Seems to be holding up just fine so far. If ever i need to get inside my mirrors for whatever reason, Ill add the screws in. But right now, I really dont feel like taking the thing apart again. The covers are a pain to take off.

4. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could you use the screws from the stock mirror?

5. sLick415

sLick415 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope, those screws serve their own purpose.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Professional installers like Tommy have a stock of screws on hand so it follows that you purchase the appropriate screws if you're a DIYer and don't have them.

7. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you have an idea of why type or size of screws we need ?

thanks

8. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #8 half inch sheet metal screws. First post explains where they go. You need 3 per side. I got mine at home depot.

9. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

thanks

10. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    these turn signal lights definitely make the car look nicer at night, finally got mine installed. Loving the puddle light :p

11. BreitrthnU

BreitrthnU Can you smell the premix?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the pilot lights are wired to the footwell lights, which I think I read was a constant power does that mean that the pilot lights are even on during the day? kind of like a second set of drls?

12. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The pilot lights only come on when you turn on your headlights. The puddle lights come on when your dome lights are on

13. BreitrthnU

BreitrthnU Can you smell the premix?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So does that mean that the footwell lights are only on when the headlights are on? I thought those were on all the time. My wife saw the lights on during the day but I could be wrong. If thats the case then good, thanks for the reply!

14. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Footwell lights come on day or night, just as your interior lights come on.

15. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Igot my mirror signals about a week ago & just got my Toyota Wish folding mirrors today. Got 1 heck of a install coming up.

tarheelsfan873 likes this.
  16. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I feel for ya! I dread it, myself! Are you doing this yourself? or getting an installer to figure it all out? Just remember you'll have to wire for the defroster, since that part wasn't included in the wiring harness. Also, the Wish mirrors have the signal part on them. There is a connector/plug inside the mirrors that the signals plug into on both of the Wish mirrors. You have to take the guts out of the Wish mirrors and transfer into the Prius mirrors. So then that plug/connector will be inside your Prius mirrors. You can just plug your Prius signals into those connectors inside the mirrors, and then just hook into them inside the car on the other end of that long tube of wires. That saves you the step of having to thread 3 wires down that tube through the door to wire up your Prius signals, since you can just make use of the plugs already there from the Wish signals.

17. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    here's a pic of my jdm side mirrors night shot :) love the cruising lights

[​IMG]

GaR619 and OWG like this.
  18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Going to do it all myself. I wired in a OEM rear view cam into my CTS. Works just like it would've come from the factory.

I did notice that the plug on the car that goes to the mirror switch is different that the me switch & harness so now I need to find this new plug. Hopefully the dealer can get it.

19. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My bodyshop dude surprised me when I showed up on Friday by telling me that he had felt froggy and had taken all the wires out of that Wish plug (on the end of that "snake" of wires coming through the door hole from the mirrors) and transferred them over to the original plug that had plugged into our original Prius mirror adjustment plug, that way I could drive out of there with my mirrors still working like they had before. He left all the extra wires just taped to the side of that long "snake" of wires and said that whomever I got to install/hook up the folding part would just have to wire in those other wires. I kinda wish he hadn't done that, cause there's a crapload of wires there for a stranger to the whole Prius setup to just "figure out" what they go to......but I realize he was just trying to do a good thing for me. It would have been easier to tap into the couple of wires that went to our oem mirror adjustment switch than to have someone now have to figure out where that pile of loose wires is supposed to go. If you don't mind, could you take some close-up pictures of the wires and the plug on the end of that Wish snake of wires attached to the Wish mirrors, so that I can tell what color wire went into which hole in the Wish plug, in case I have to put all of them back like they were after I get it home? If I have to undo what the bodyshop guy did, I can't fathom trying to figure out what wire went into what hole in that plug that came on the end of the Wish mirror setup. I'll pm you my email address, if you wouldn't mind doing that huge favor for me. When he told me he had taken everything out of that Wish plug and wired back the original Prius plug, I got this sick feeling in my stomach....

So, back to the plug you were mentioning.....the plug on the end of the wires coming out of the Wish mirror assembly does not fit into the custom wiring harness that they sent us? Since the guy took that plug off mine and put wires back into that original plug from the stock Prius mirrors, I don't have it to look at now. I halfway assumed that the plug on the custom harness was made to plug into the Wish mirror plug, but I never actually checked. The other parts of that harness DO plug into that relay box just fine and the folding switch, too, so it makes sense to assume that the other plug on that custom harness would just plug into the end of the Wish wiring plug, also. You know where assuming gets you, though..... lol

20. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll take pics as soon as I get home.

The harness that was with the mirrors has 2 white plug, 1 black plug & 2 loose wires ( 1 red & 1 white).

The black plug goes into the box that comes with the harness. Then 1 of the white connectors goes to the new mirror switch. The other white connector is suppose to plug into the mirror switch on the car harness. It's this last plug that doesn't match. Then there's the loose white & red wire.......I think these power the folding motor.

The other issue I also see is kind of what ur body man did.

We either have to reuse the Prius mirror connector or find the matching "wish" connector cause they are different since the wish mirror has 4 extra wires(2 for the signal & 2 for the folding motor) where the Prius mirror has only 3 (I think. Still havent taken my door panel off yet to look).

This is going to be more complicated than I thought cause the Prius connectors arnt matching the "Wish" connectors. I'm going to make a trip to my local dealer to see if they can get the required connectors.