1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY JDM style side mirrors combo lights (Signal+Parking+Courtesy lights)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CivicSky, Feb 23, 2011.

1. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, if they can, get 2 and I'll pay you for it!

2. GCPExit12

GCPExit12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    installed my mirrors today. had them painted black rather than risk a color mismatch. only problem is I was sent two driver side covers and no passenger side cover! all the wiring is in place but the passenger side is temporarily wrapped in seran wrap haha...

anyone find an alternative splice for the puddle lights other than dome light or footwell? I dont want them to turn on when someone turns on the dome and the footwells stay illuminated day and night. picture 01.jpg

3. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    ordered my set today get it in few weeks :D can't wait to install them.

4. BreitrthnU

BreitrthnU Can you smell the premix?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok I hope some of you guys can lend a hand. After I connected all my wires, the only thing that works as should is the puddle lights.the turning lights and pilot lights are super dim.

Heres how its wired.
    Red wires for both sides to corresponding green and yellow as the op said.
    both blue wires connected to brown wire behind mirror switch.
    This one I'm not sure of...the black common ground to the white cable with black stripe on the unused plug behind the mirror switch.

Also they only faintly work when head lights are off, when they are turned on the don't work at all.
    Thanks in advance

PC36100 ? 2

5. OWG

OWG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My turn signals are on their way from Nigel now and I expect them in the next week.

Problem I am looking at is finding the correct wires to tap into on the Prius V Wagon. I have already removed the passenger side footwell cover and see that the connectors are in a different layout than the standard Prius. The pictures on this thread won't help a bit. Does it make more sense to trace the wires by using a multimeter to look for the correct voltage when the power is applied to turn signal, parking light, courtesy light or to disconnect the battery, disconnect the harness connectors and run continuity traces between the components?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

6. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like ground is not connected. I would connect the black wire directly to the body.

7. BreitrthnU

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It was the ground. The lights are functioning perfect now!! Thanks to all who posted and made this thread, just wish the OP could consolidate the info now.

8. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Will these work on the Prius Plug-In?

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, a few members already have. I wonder though, if they were able to get the color match (e-bay version).

10. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Right on, with Tommy not being to far from me I will get these and have him install. I have Blizzard Pearl so the Whites will be fine.

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, if you have BP, no problem. Just indicate that to the ebay seller.

Still enjoying mine after two years. Paint job (covers) is holding up just fine.

12. BreitrthnU

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got mine from Ebay MIT was the seller. The color match is perfect

13. BlackPrius30

BlackPrius30 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ordered mine from Nigel, because it is cheaper than MIT. ;)

14. BreitrthnU

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    cheaper than $150 shipped? good deal.

15. BlackPrius30

BlackPrius30 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got mine from MIT and could not be happier. Color match was perfect and the paint was too.

GCP......I dont know why you would go with black mirrors on your color car...Looks like a rental now.

GCPExit12 likes this.
  17. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm with ya on asking the "why get black mirrors" question. That's just one of those things people have been doing to their cars that I canNOT understand. I know, to each his own.....but my immediate thought is that the car musta been in a wreck and the mirrors got knocked off or something, and the owner located a set on a black car at the salvage yard and just stuck them on his/her car...... OR, the car owner bought a replacement set from an online car parts supplier and the mirrors came unpainted. As long as the person likes them though, that's really all that matters! Heaven knows, I've done enough things to my car that people have expressed their personal dislike for! lol! It seems imports used to come with plain black, unpainted mirrors "back in the day", and we all were getting them painted to match our cars. And now people are painting them black instead of matching their cars. Funny how things come back around again. I do like that color of car, though, as it's one I rarely see where I live.

ockevin likes this.
  18. GCPExit12

GCPExit12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The 781 US seaglass pearl is not an exact match for the Asian market 782. This is a picture from Priuskat's side moldings in 781 and 782, how's that for "my car's been in a wreck" color matching?
    seaglass.jpg

I assure you the two-tone approach is quite prevalent beyond the car rental industry. to wit:

gallardo.jpg cayman.jpg black mirrors01.jpg minicoop.jpg

Finally, I'm not looking to turn heads or stop traffic. I have 500+ miles on my odometer and there is still dealership gas in my tank, this is why I bought a Prius. I'm turning 30 today, my priorities are shifting. If my 170MPG car conserves resources and does its part in keeping clean the world in which my daughter will grow up looks like a rental, so be it. I think people that buy ridiculous rims with rubberband tires, get black windows on a black car with black taillights, and drop the suspension on a Prius that goes from 0-60 in the amount of time that my old porsche finishes an entire quarter mile are delusional, but I don't go around reminding PC member who posts pictures of their lowered or tinted ride that they remind me of the time we made my grandmother try on my cousin's stilettos for laughs.

bielinsk likes this.
  19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All these cars have black trims to go with the black mirrors. Bino and others have black/carbon fiber mirror covers on their SR Prius and yes, they do look great with the appropriate mods.

You can always get the mirrors from Nigel if you want an exact paint match that's otherwise not available from MIT.

GCPExit12 and GoldPianoGarden like this.
  20. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do agree with you about the mirrors looking good-ish on these cars with other black trim on the cars to tie the black mirrors into the scheme of things. I would probably get the black ones, too, if the paint color wasn't going to match my car's color. Like I said earlier, I've done lots of things to my car that a lot of other members don't like or would never do to theirs. But I had about 10 people gathered around my car last night when I came out of Walmart.....so I felt good about what I'd done so far. There are others, though, who'd just as soon slash my tires! lol! I'm just happy that people are actually doing things to their Prii, as I was terrified initially when mom bought it for me that I'd ended up with "one of those" cars...... It was extremely elating to know all of you exist, and that this car is modified to all extremes around the world!