1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY JDM style side mirrors combo lights (Signal+Parking+Courtesy lights)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CivicSky, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah same. It most likely won't happen in my car (I don't remember turning on the rear dome light in the old Prius in a very long time) but knowing that it does, is annoying lol.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good evening, everyone -

I know that this product has caused a great deal of excitement on the PC forums, and I, too, am very excited to get a hold of the side mirror lights and test them out. Unfortunately, a newcomer to PriusChat has been posting what we deem to be "commercial posts" without the authorization of myself or any other mod. I removed a few posts and warned the community, but the member decided to continue posting in this thread even after being warned.

I reached out to the member to see about entering into a business partnership that would be both beneficial to PriusChat and the PriusChat community, but we were unable to agree on terms. I have now removed all of this member's posts, and suggest that PriusChat members do not do business with this individual.

I am very interested in working with CivicSky and his sources to bring the side mirror lights to the PriusChat community at an affordable price. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on that progress. In the meantime, please do not link to the previous commercial poster's site or provide details on the pricing he offered. Any posts with that content will be removed.

3. jordanr

jordanr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So what does this mean for the people who have already made the purchase?

iPhone ?

4. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    :eek: Wth!!!!!!!! :mad:

5. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    :mod::rolleyes:

No offense Danny, but it sounds like you are looking to make a nice profit on top of the sales of each item and that cuts in my pocket when the price goes up from what the member originally agreed on. Even at $190 most people feel that these LED signals are still expensive. People who drive these cars for efficiency rather then investing in bling are looking in ways to save money not waste it on overpriced forum crap they can live without or shop elsewhere for a good deal. Example, I purchased my low profile mudguards and my Husky mats from an online dealer because if you look in the PriusShop prices are somewhat high compared to other sources on the internet.

It sounds like you want to go straight to the source and offer these LED signals directly yourself with the help of CivicSky as we all know not allot of places sell these signals and at the moment a bunch of us members want them now. Personally i think you are greedy the moment you cut this member off and banned him from the forum when you could have easily send him to classifieds, his credibility has been checked and i for one felt comfortable sending him my payment of $xxxx via PayPal.

My opinion has completely changed about the people who own and run this forum and i wouldn't be surprised if my post gets deleted or even banned. [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Dan.

6. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  7. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would also like to know, i just hope Nigel honers the groupbuy on his website and still goes ahead with it.

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The owner of the PriusChat has to pay for the servers and internet service providers etc so all the rest of us get to chat here for free. I believe PriusChat Shop helps offset that cost. The outside vendor did say he was willing to be a sponsor. It's too bad the terms did not work out.

9. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Boy oh boy. How things change from one moment to the next. I will pass on my info to Nigel so we can still meet up and see the parts in person so I can report back hopefully by Tuesday at the latest. Especially now that my tail lights are installed I'm wanting to swap out my JDM signals that much more, just because they match the look more and I love the courtesy light. Will get back to you guys as soon as I can about it all.

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone who has already purchased their signal mirror housings through them will continue as is. I'm just shutting down the member's ability to advertise their product on PriusChat (at least for now).

Hi Dan, I certainly don't delete posts or ban users because they disagree with stances that I take. PriusChat has held a firm stance since its inception in 2003 with regards to outside commercial entities, and that position has helped me turn PC into a viable business that pays for the servers the site sits on, puts food on my family's table and pays for my daughter's diapers :) It has also helped lots of accessory manufacturers make Prius their highest selling accessory line.

With regards to pricing on the PriusChat Shop, I'm always open to pricematching other websites if you email me at [email protected]. We can almost always beat others' pricing since we don't charge tax in California and all of our products ship out free.

You've been a member here for a month, so I can understand if you don't understand the family atmosphere that we've created here at PriusChat or understand my position as an independent small business owner.

2 people like this.
  11. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dan - no one is stopping you from contacting the seller directly to complete your purchase.

As for your remarks about Civicsky's seller, that's how a business is run. It's hard to make concessions when you have limited buyers, and Civicsky explained that. He never said the individual was unreliable, just not willing to ship directly. If there is a large enough order, like what Danny is attempting to put together, I'm sure the seller will be more open to discuss direct shipping.
    FYI: I ordered a set from Civicsky before all this blew up. I have received confirmation that the shipment is within 1-2 days of being in my hands. All in all, two weeks to have mirrors custom painted, shipped, and in hand. I would hardly call that "unreliable."

Danny - I know you are looking for a pair painted WGM. How much do you want for them? ;) Just kidding.

12. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just checked my email and Nigel is stating that he will honor the sale and is working on it. That makes me happy now. :D

Danny I hope you guys can figure this out and make everyone happy.

Also i would sugest you lift Nigel's ban as he sounded like he was trying to communicate to you and let him contribute his knowledge on the forum. my2cents :p

13. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just curious, why not work out a deal with Sigma? It sells the lights. And isn't it a paid sponsor? I don't remember anyone from Sigma jumping in on the discussion, but has anybody asked Sigma about doing a group buy?

14. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A little teaser...

Sorry about the poor quality, it was with my camera phone. Probably not the best to capture the details.

Thanks CivicSky!! :rockon:

Attached Files:

15. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I thought you don't delete posts on this forum, Danny? heh... I'll take my money on another forum, thanks.

Dan.

16. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are very welcome!

17. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    CivicSky,

I ended up thinking about this in the middle of the night.:( I had to go back and re-read what you said, and I think I understand better now.

You didn't have a picture of what you did at the dome light so I'm not sure what you meant by "hard wired". Were you able to remove the dome light housing to get to the wires?

If Toyota's wiring to the rear dome light is done the way I think it is, you can avoid having the mirror welcome light come on when the rear light switch is activated but you would still have the problem of having it come on when the front switch is turned to manually on.

Because I originally misread your post, I was thinking we needed to look further downstream from the front overhead light switch (i.e., under the dash), but now I don't think so. If you grounded the mirror welcome lights into the courtesy light grounding circuit at the front overhead switch, I think everything should work right. I know there are instructions for removing the overhead panels, but I have not seen one yet for V's with the LKA camera.

Unless I'm missing something, there may only be 4 wires in the front overhead switch connector (hot, chassis ground for manual on setting, courtesy grounding circuit for automatic door setting, and ground to rear dome light automatic connection). It should only take a few minutes to find the wire to the courtesy grounding circuit. Even if the connector is shared with other stuff, we should still be able to experiment to find the right wire (although a wiring diagram would be a big help).

18. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK, I think I found the right wire. See the attached wiring diagram for the map light assembly. You should be looking for a blue wire (code L). If you want to open the overhead area, it looks like you can get it off either U3 (pin 11) or U13 (pin 13), depending on whether you have the solar roof or not. I hope to be able to find a picture of those connectors somewhere. As you can see, the wire goes through some other connectors, but I'm not sure where they are located either.

EDIT: Fixed my PDF file.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perhaps you'll learn to read on that one.

20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It might be my computer, but your link comes up an error. No print.