1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY JDM style side mirrors combo lights (Signal+Parking+Courtesy lights)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CivicSky, Feb 23, 2011.

1. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, my bad. It's fixed. I also included a link to finding the L7 connector.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure what I just walked into. Was refering to the pdf attachment with the wiring diagram. Was this deleted to?

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got it, thanks.

4. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, I misread the diagram. It's A is U3 and B is U13....:mad:

I am fixing it....

5. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, according to Jayvee (Thanks!) in another thread, connector 2A (we want pin 52) is located on the instrument panel junction block near the main ECU and junction connector UL1 (we want pin 8) is located on the left side of the dash. Form UL1, the wires run up to the roof, where U3 and U13 are located.

I wish I knew how to search with short strings (like "2A")

Hope that helps...

6. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like you are getting closer to finding the right wires for the dome light. It also solves the problem when someone decided to manually turn on the rear dome light without interfering the courtesy lights on the mirrors. So, if the dome light is negative triggered, does it mean it is constant on the positive? No wonder I couldn't find it. I basically test tried every wire.
    About the procedures of dissembling the rear dome light, I can post some photos tomorrow as I am tempted to find the correct wires even it works with my current setup.

7. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, the positive side goes to battery and the negative side goes to the blue CTY wire.

If you find the 2A connector, the red wire at pin 49 should be the 12V dome light supply from the dome fuse. It connects up with the red (or red painted) wire to the positive side to the under-door puddle light, which is where I plan on tapping for it.

If you dig around, I think you should see a blue wire running up the driver-side A pillar. If there is only one, then that should be it. If there are more, you want the one that goes to ground when a door is opened.

8. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually, you might be able to find the blue CTY wire on the 3B connector (under the dash?) more easily by following the wiring back from the under-door puddle light. Look for a large square connector with 96 pins in a 12x8 array (there is another connector ( 4B that looks the same). If you follow the hot wire from the puddle light, it will lead you to 3B after going through a junction connector. From the driver's side, it will connect to pin 48 (it will be on the outside edge of the 4th row (once you've oriented your view)). Once you find 3B, there should be a blue wire at both pins 18 and 78. You should be able to tap into either one of them.

Good luck.

9. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    RodJo,
    According to the door sill instruction, the puddle light source (e.g. driver's side diagram shown below) is located at the foot panel.
    [​IMG]
    I'll look further into the steering column panel until I found the 96-pin connector tomorrow during the day. I assume none of these at the foot panels neither although my car went totally dark after unplugging that 64-pin connector on the driver's side.
    [​IMG]

10. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It looks like that should be the OL1 junction connector, and there should be a similarly wired junction connector (NL1) on the passengers side. That's the right red wire that we can use for the hot side of the mirror welcome light. Do not use the yellow wire, it is the return from the door puddle light and uses a different grounding circuit.

When you follow that red wire back under the dash, you should find the large 3B connector. It probably has a big bundle of wires connected to it. If you can't get to it, you can try finding the UL1 junction connector or the 2A connector to the Main ECU. The UL1 should be a nice-sized gray 18 pin (19x2) connector. Since it's heading to the roof though, I fear it may be up high into the dash. The 2A connector is an elongated 56 pin white connector divided into 3 sections along its length. Along one edge are a series of fat wires, 6 in each of the two outer sections and 2 in the middle section.

I will try to organize more information and include connector drawings in the morning and post them.

1 person likes this.
  11. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am attaching a file that shows the wires and connectors that should work for wiring the welcome light. Let me know if I mislabeled anything.

While you could use any constant-on wire, I prefer one from the dome fuse. Fortunately, such a power wire is right at the doors leading to the puddle light, so it should be pretty easy to tap into. Just follow CivicSky's instructions borrowed from the door sill install and tap it to the positive side of the welcome light.

There are a number of potential places to find the blue wire to the courtesy ground circuit to tap into for the negative side of the welcome light. To help, I have included the connectors with the pins color-coded for the red hot wires and the blue courtesy ground wires. Except for U3/U13, I believe the connectors should all be around the driver's side footwell or left side of the dash so that means that you will need to snake the passenger-side wire under the dash. Hopefully CivicSky will be able to find the most accessible place to tap. :)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    RodJo,
    It's amazing that you got all these wiring diagrams handy! My wife took my car because hers is low on fuel (cost $70 to refuel !$_$!) Anyway, I will mainly look for the U3 connector on my II when she is back.

13. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dang it... I really wished I paid more attention in my HS electronics course.... Those diagrams are all Latin to me. :confused:

14. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you pop off the overhead panels, I'm sure you will see it. That wire bundle seems to carry all the wires needed up there.

So you gave up looking down below? The 2A connector should be findable because there are a lot of other connectors that also plug into that ECU, such as L7 and L8. I haven't seen a clear picture of it, but the attached diagram (from http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...elp-finding-l7-connector-auto-headlights.html) shows where L7 and L8 are located (panel to the left of the steering column). In the diagram, I think the purple wire bundle is what leads from UL1 to the roof but it's not labeled....

Attached Files:

15. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I found a thread discussing the A pillar and tweeter removal that may help our quest. See post #32 of http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...tronics/68491-front-dash-tweeter-removal.html and look at the second image. That black bundle you see on the left should be carrying our blue wire and it looks like you can access the UL1 connector (or at least the wires) through the tweeter opening. And apparently the parts just snap off. I assume we can slip a wire down below. If someone doesn't get a chance to look, I'll see if I can give it a try later this week.

16. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was looking at the same thread about tweeter removal the other day and can't help myself from taking off the overhead map lights. I knew there were 4 clips to hold the map lights unit in place but I just couldn't get that thing off like it was super glued on the ceiling. But I found the L7 and where L8 would be on other models expect Prius II. Also, the "Brown" wire which you tapped into for parking light trigger (+).
    FYI: this is the panel next to the steering wheel.
    [​IMG]

17. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I gave up and posted a new thread asking for the 2A connector's location in the Electronics forum. I know, it's not as much fun that way. :D

18. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    haha... Thank you for your effort to look for the correct connectors. I couldn't find the 2A connector or anything like that. I do believe the wires for dome light is somewhere located inside the A-pillar on the :eek:driver's side. I will keep searching for the correct wires.

19. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for tearing your car apart -- again!!! And good luck, hopefully that is a connector next to the tweeter that you can just pop off. My dash doesn't rattle (yet) so I feel it would be better to remove as few panels as possible, so as not to tempt anything.

I remember that I have one of those fiber optic inspection cameras that might just come in handy if the connector is buried somewhere.

20. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Danny, Deleting my third post again with no links or giving away information as to where these signals can be purchased at a great price only proved to over 20+ members chatting away on Google Groups and e-mail about what is really going on here!

Again, why don't you charge Nigel a vendor fee rather then asking a $20 commission price on each sale and let members purchase these signals at what most thought was a fair price from Nigel-JDM NOW! His shop is known on Lexus Forums as a very reputable vendor/shop.
    :rolleyes: