1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Diy Junk yard prius into homemade generator setup

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by fotomoto, Sep 27, 2017.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Timely find after our recent hurricanes and numerous posts here on using a Pri for home generating power.

"Junk yard 2nd generation Prius engine into a home generator set because I could and it was a challenge to myself. Removed final drive cvt belt and gears and welded power split device sun gear to lock outer motor mg2 to get 120v ac at idle. This thing will never go back into another car anyway. This engine runs on the 2001 Toyota echo ecu, not the Prius due to complexity and cost of components. The engine it self is running in limp mode mainly because I don't have an idle air control wired up and I really don't need it. I only needed the ecu for spark control and injector cycling but thinking about Arduino for injector control in the future. The engine is started on a car starter because I don't have the prius components or battery pack. I cut the transmission case on the side using a saw+zza and used an automatic flex plate and bolted the flywheel on top of it to lock the transmission shaft into place. I use zinc washers for spacing the transmission and engine to fit the "output shaft stack". This is an engineered build and welded this square tube frame with a 120v welder, its strong and moves easy with the dolly tires but still needs to be finished up."

:eek::eek::eek:

offib, jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    now I've seen everything

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that won't be easily duplicated. not even sure how she's producing power.(y)

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What happened to MG1?

What is the output frequency vs ICE rpm?

Did you leave the coolant channels?

Plans for power electronics?

GOOD JOB! I look forward to progress reports. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017