1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY OEM catalytic converter replacement?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jakob, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey folks. I recently got a code P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)) and my mechanic told me it's likely due to the exhaust being rusted through in a few places near the catalytic converters. The engine has also been pretty loud lately, probably for the same reason. He said he could try to patch some of the holes, but I think the thing is just at the end of its life and needs to be replaced.

The good news is that while these parts seem to be discontinued on the Toyota parts site he apparently can get OEM parts to replace the exhaust (a monolithic piece that runs between the exhaust manifold and the muffler).

I've seen the threads about aftermarket cats with vacuum hacks to trick the HCAC system, but I think I'm going to go the easy/expensive route. I figured I could instead save a bit by buying the parts from the shop and installing them myself. I don't think the repair manual has any instructions for this, but from what I hear replacing exhaust is pretty DIY-able, and I even have access to a lift. So my question is has anybody else done this? Or any gotchas for this process in general?

Bruce Berquist likes this.
  2. Bruce Berquist

Bruce Berquist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hey. If you have found a good or new HCAC cat system, good on you! You're lucky.

The reason I went to a modification to fool the vacuum sensor for the HCAC was because the dealerships I went to all confirmed that the part is discontinued and not available, and all the used ones I found were very questionable.

Except for having to warm up the car longer in cold winter weather before driving it, my non-HCAC system works as it should.

I am working on an idea to assist in preheating the cat on cold weather starts without the HCAC, and will post about it if it works.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You should certainly be able to handle this as DIY, plus sell the OEM cats for quite a chuck of money just for scrap price. The Gen 1 cats are about as valuable as the Gen 2.

4. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I was pretty surprised the shop said they were able to find these parts. Fingers crossed that the stock doesn't magically vanish when they order them (which I've instructed them to do). I think the shop usually only uses new and remanufactured parts, so I assume these are new.

Sweet, I'll be watching for updates. I hope I get my nice OEM replacement to last me another 20 years :p, but if not I'm going aftermarket for sure.

Oh right! This didn't even occur to me but it should offset a sizeable chunk of the expenses. IIRC you get somewhere around $1000-1500 for these?

5. pmc

pmc New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A parts guy at Olathe Toyota told me that lately they've been getting them in about one month after ordered. If I understood correctly, he said there is new production getting spread around all dealerships by allocation for specific firm paid orders.

6. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, this is great to know! So seemingly I could get my hands on these myself if I just contacted a dealership. It's too bad the parts website doesn't seem to understand this nuance.

7. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have the new OEM cat converter pipe, then the trickiest bit will be moving the HCAC actuator from the old assembly to the new one.
    Your Dremel with a cutting wheel is your friend, here.
    The bolts that hold that HCAC assembly are probably rusted beyond use. The parts 17520 and 17523 need to be transferred; they're not included in the purchase of 17410.
    Replace any hardware with stainless steel, if you can.
    (link to parts diagram: https://parts.toyota.com/images/parts/toyotaOEM/fullsize/a1_172502B.jpg. )
    Treat yourself to a new set of gaskets,too (Walker 31690, front; Walker 31689, rear). They're available from RockAuto.
    Maybe also a new spring/bolt set on both ends, too (Walker 36454, 2 sets).
    The rubber hose which connects directly to the HCAC actuator may also need replacement. A 6 inch (150mm) length of 7/64" (6mm) black rubber hose from the local auto parts store will do, if the old bit of rubber is dried out or cracking.
    I see that you're in Wisconsin, a high-salt state. I suggest a couple cans of Rustoleum High-Heat silver paint on the new parts to give them some additional protection against salt.
    Operational hints:
    Liquid Wrench, WD-40/PB Blaster are your friends.
    For install, getting pressure on the forward spring bolts AND getting them to turn into their threads it tough to do by hand.
    I use a drill with a hex-to-square converter plus a couple 3/8" extensions and a deep 14mm socket to get the bolts started.
    Getting the bolts out is fairly easy, once the rust gets pushed out of the way. Getting new back in against the spring force is hard.
    Extracting the O2 sensor from the old cat may be painful (after 20+ years in place); be prepared for a struggle, or buy a new O2 sensor.
    To disconnect the old O2 sensor inside the car, remove the passenger side door kick panels and roll back the rug.
    The O2 sensor cable disconnects and passes through a rubber fitting through the floor.
    You will probably need a small screwdriver to depress the actuator which locks the connectors together. My fingers are too big.

Jakob likes this.
  8. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

This is correct. I just received mine today from Olathe, after ordering (and paying for) it on October 25.

I'm still trying to figure out what else I need other than the main Cat assembly. My original cat was stolen, including the HCAC actuator. In addition to the main Cat assembly, I have ordered part numbers 17230-21010 (Actuator Assy, W/Bracket) and part 17338-21010 (Spring, Air Control) from the diagram. I know I will also need the rear O2 sensor.

What are the parts 17520 and 17523 described in the quote above? I see 17523 on the linked diagram. This part is listed online as "PROTECTOR, EXHAUST PIPE, UPPER NO. 3", but is shown as "discontinued" on the various parts sites. I live in Southern California, so if this part is just to keep the actuator dry, I could probably omit it or improvise something. I don't see 17520 on the diagram, and my googling didn't find any part 17520 that seems to make sense for this application. Perhaps @dabard051 meant 17230, not 17520?

Any help or guidance would really be appreciated.

#8 DaveGoodrich, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  9. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    jakob, DaveGoodRich, here is the list of official Toyota parts names and numbers from ToyotaPartsDeal.com:
    Exhaust Pipe - 2002 Toyota Prius
    The hard-to-find items are the OEM cat converter assembly ($$$$) and HCAC actuator ($$$).
    All the parts listed as item 17410 (in the diagram) are included when you get the OEM cat pipe assembly.
    The rest are highly likely available from RockAuto, although I haven't checked recently.
    BTW, I find the RockAuto site helpful in figuring out what parts are needed for a job, too.

10. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Thanks. I was able to order the cat assembly and the HCAC actuator, and yes they were $$$$. I have also been able to order part # 17338, which is listed as a "Spring, Air Control."

But I can't seem to find a source for part # 17523 which is listed online as "PROTECTOR, EXHAUST PIPE, UPPER NO. 3", but is shown as "discontinued" on the various Toyota parts sites. This looks like it is a cover/shield for the actuator. Any ideas for a source? If not, I think I will just try to improvise some kind of sheet metal shield to protect the actuator. Not sure what I am protecting it from however. Heat, flying debris, etc.? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: found part 17523 on ebay. Price was reasonable, shipping doubled it.

#10 DaveGoodrich, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Jakob likes this.
  11. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally got this done yesterday. Thanks everyone for the tips! Here are a few notes:

Freeing rusty hardware: I fiddled for a while with PB Blaster, tapping the bolts, waiting, wrenching, and hammering on a breaker bar (and repeat). I got the oxygen sensor loose this way, but ended up using an impact wrench for most of the mounting bolts. I don't know if I was at risk of damaging fasteners by doing this, but it worked like a charm.

I took dabard's advice and painted the new exhaust. According to the can primer isn't recommended, but it's a good idea to clean and lightly sand the surfaces before painting to improve adhesion.

The HCAC actuator shield Dave mentioned was not among the parts the shop ordered for me. I haven't been able to find it on eBay either. Instead I was able to remove and reuse the part from the old exhaust. It seems even though it's mounted on welded bolts the shield is welded, not fastened. So I freed it by grinding off the bolt shafts down to the shield surface and then drilling out the rest of the welds (picture attached).

The repair manual instructs twisting the end of the oxygen sensor 3.5 turns counter-clockwise before installing to compensate for the rotation threading it into the exhaust. If a new sensor is going in it seems like it makes more sense to just screw it into the exhaust first and then run the connector into the cabin.

Attached Files:

12. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The hcac protector shield 17523-21010 is hard to find. It's been discontinued. Will the hcac be ok if the shield is omitted?

Also curious if it can be installed later without dropping the exhaust (if I find one later).

13. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, didn't check PriusChat for a while. In case it helps:

We don't know what the purpose of the shield is, but my guess is to protect the valve actuator from water and road debris. As best I can tell it doesn't make sense for it to be a heat shield because it's on the outside of the actuator, opposite the exhaust itself which would be the main source of heat. It's plausible to me that the actuator would do okay without the shield.

If I recall correctly the actuator is on the top of the exhaust, so I don't think it would be practical to install anything there with the exhaust in.

14. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No probs. That was my thought as well. I think Toyota discontinued it since it was not providing too much value / cost. I ended up installing w/o it.

The actuator is between the 2 cats above the pipe and it's shielded from the bottom.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the heat shield is below the cat (if I’m reading right), it might be there to to reduce risk of starting a fire, say if you park over tinder dry grass?

ronlewis likes this.
  16. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There is a shield below the 1st cat, attached (after the exhaust flange). But there is a another u shaped shield underneath the actuator to shield it from the pipe and the 2 cats. You can see from this pic

Attached Files:

17. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To clarify though, the discontinued shield that we were discussing goes above the actuator and exhaust assembly, so between the exhaust and the body of the car. So it doesn't seem to be a heat shield protecting objects under the car.

Mendel Leisk likes this.