1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY oil change for 2017 Two (verify your filter type before starting)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by UltraJetRefill, May 22, 2018.

1. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm going to do my first oil change at ~3000 miles (5000 km) just for practice. My wife's 2017 has the replaceable element, and when I went to the dealer they said that was the only part for mine. A few days ago I got it up on my ramp, and to my surprise it was a spin-on type. I went to the dealer yesterday, and they said nope, that's not the right one. After talking to them for awhile, the parts person noticed that there was something else on the parts drawing that was listed as optional. Turns out it's a spin-on type. The parts person was very surprised, and I said you may have some confused DIYers coming in for a filter.

The one that came off was a 90915-10003, and they sold me a 90915-YZZF2. A similar drawing with part numbers is here:

2017 Toyota Prius Two Filter s/a, oil. Gcc, cartrige, gen - 90915YZZF2 - Genuine Toyota Part

Any opinions on whether I'll get a good drain with this setup? The drain plug seems to be at the rear of the oil pan, and I'd rather not get the back wheels on a ramp as well (since I haven't built them...). The oil level was about 3 mm lower on the dipstick when on the ramp as opposed to on flat ground, FWIW.

The back wheels are chocked, BTW.

20180520_114744.jpg

20180520_111844.jpg

#1 UltraJetRefill, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Mendel Leisk and JimboPalmer like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a sweet looking set of ramps. (y) Are they varnished?

That's one clean engine too. You have a small panel at the oil pan, held on by screws, and comes completely off, no hinge nonsense?

I think either way, level, or with front raised, you'll get a good drain. Let it drip for a good while, take a break while it does.

Another trick, if you're pouring the new oil from bottles: pour it in, set the bottle down, and 5~10 minutes later: tip the bottle in again. Guaranteed you'll get a few more tablespoons. Maybe repeat a second time, if you have the patience, or let them stand overnight, try once more.

Do you have a oil filter socket? I'd strongly suspect it's the same size as for cartridge style, permanent housing: the filter is 64mm face to face, 12 faces. The socket is slightly bigger, just enough to clear. This is pretty much industry standard: Honda automotive filters are the same dimensions, and Honda sells a nice socket, heavy gauge stamped steel. Toyota offers an oil filter socket as well, cast aluminum?

This is the current Honda part number I believe: 07AAA-PLCA100

Oh, and those are 4th gen centre caps? What did they cost?

#2 Mendel Leisk, May 22, 2018
    RCO and UltraJetRefill like this.
  3. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He he, yep, it was some leftover varnish. You are correct, the Gen 4 has three screws and one hingey thing for the panel. A 12-mm socket or Philips fits.

I have a Motivx tool for the removable element style filter, but I haven't checked to see if the flats will fit the spin-on filter. If not, I'll check out your Honda info.

The Gen 4 centre caps were US$79: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M26TQHU

#3 UltraJetRefill, May 22, 2018
    krmcg and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks!

Just to illustrate how disgustingly overpriced those centre caps, here's my (US) Amazon basket at present:

upload_2018-5-22_19-0-39.png

UltraJetRefill likes this.
  5. Purrius

Purrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Those are awesome ramps, man! :)

UltraJetRefill likes this.
  6. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I might actually remove the longer bottom layer since I only go up three steps, so to speak. Makes it easier to store in the house.