1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY oil change/tire rotation (kind of long)

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cutter44, Jul 17, 2015.

1. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well, I had the day off today and the weather was nice, so I did my 40k mile service at 39915 miles. I figured the oil change would be a piece of cake, so I started with the tire rotation. Despite suggestions to raise the whole vehicle up, I still wanted to attempt to raise just one side at a time, since I was just rotating front to back. So I figured I'd use the supplied scissors jack (what a pain in the butt getting that out from under the seat) at the front and my floor jack at the rear. I set them in place and started. Well, lo and behold, as I started cranking up the front, the back started lifting off my already placed floor jack in the back. So I went to plan B. I used the floor jack in the front and as I raised it, I was able to get the rear raised enough to use one of my trusty bottle jack/jack stands for the rear (see pic). I did work up a sweat, but It all worked out fine. A little break for some lunch, then on to the oil change.

I have a nice little drop-off where I placed some planks a few years ago (see pic), so I have a convenient way to get under the car. I must say, I don't think I've ever done a simpler oil change. Note that I didn't say it was easy...just simple. Whoever did the last oil change really didn't want to take a chance that filter would come off. The gorilla had it on so tightly that for the first time ever on any car I've owned, I needed to use a filter wrench to get it off. Interestingly enough, the drain plug was fairly easy to remove. A five quart jug of 0W20 Mobil 1 was $25 at Walmart and an OEM filter was $5.00 at the local Toyota dealer. At first it was going to be $6 something until I mentioned that I didn't need the drain plug gasket. "You're not replacing the gasket?". I told him I had a Fumoto valve, so he re-rang the order. For the heck of it, as I was heading out I asked the service desk how much they charge for just a tire rotation. $29.50.

Oh yeah, it was really a full service day for me as I also replaced all the wiper blade inserts on the C. Now I'm back to all OEM with those, too. :)

Attached Files:

TC400 and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y) seems a lot here, have trouble getting the filter off.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP, please don't tell us that is the first oil change and tyre rotation. Or is it perhaps the first non-free service ?

Re getting the car up:
    I use my hydraulic lift (similar to yours) to jack up the front and place jacks;
    then move the lift to the back and jack it up to match the front height.

If I'm going to be applying a lot of torque under the car I first add two more jack stands.

#3 SageBrush, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wouldn't be the first non free service, because they end at 25k. i think he just aquired the car?

5. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, bisco's correct. I bought the car at the end of April, with 34k miles on it.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My 2 cents, when doing tire rotations, it's a lot easier to get the whole thing up, on 4 jack stands. Half loosen all lug nuts first, just raise it so there's about an inch or so clear under each tire.

If the oil filter canister's been torqued correctly it will need a socket and wrench to break loose, just saying.