1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY plug-in conversion Gen1 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by der_Denis, Nov 5, 2014.

1. der_Denis

der_Denis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Here is the short update on the project.

EV mode works as planned.
    EwertEnergy Orion BMS system is shortly discussed in the video.

Next update will touch upon E85 fuelling. (For E85 experience i believe i need to change to a different topic Prius Conversion to E85 Ethanol? | PriusChat)

Regards,
    Denis

2. der_Denis

der_Denis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    New problem arrived.

Hi everyone,

currently i'm building a next gen of my plug-in conversion kit based on the information i gathered from this project.

Therefore my prius is back to stock.
    It's been idling for some months now, while i had to replace 12v battery with a fresh and charged one.

Some days ago i needed to make a short commute but prius gave me three "usual" warning lights on the MFD, ran for some seconds, then ICE went off. I tried to start several times with shifting to "neutral" but ICE goes off regardless of the shifter position. Neither in "D" nor in "N" i can make the ice keep on running.
    Before i replaced my 12v battery, everything was all right.

I checked the forums and saw similar threads.

Moreover i checked the voltage of my HV battery after the unsuccessful tries to start, it was around 200 volts.
    To prevent a deep discharge of the HV i don't try to start the car.

Unfortunately, i still don't have the code reader to tell the codes. On the other hand the symptoms are similar to others'.

Therefore i was thinking to install a grid charger to bring my car back to life.

Searching on the forums i see that the charger should give a low current <1A.

But i only have Elcon charger that will pump 7A.

Thus i would like to couple the Elcon charger to the HV battery as a mean of a boost start for the car.
    Once i see the car operates stably, i turn the charger off and let the prius itself cycle the battery (by leaving the car turned on at the parking lot for an hour or so, thus the ICE will kick in when the battery at lower SoC and turn off when the battery at higher SoC) and relearn the capacity of the HV since the 12volt supply was not provided for a week or so.

What do you think?

Best regards,
    Denis

3. der_Denis

der_Denis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks Steve.

I will try to charge the HV battery with my Elcon charger for a short time.
    I'll report on the result.

Regards,
    Denis