1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY questions RE maintenance and replacing a tail light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by BradC, Apr 26, 2017.

1. BradC

BradC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2014 Prius and the maintenance plan I bought with the vehicle recently ended, so for my 60K maintenance, I decided to try the mechanic that services vehicles at my workplace, since I'm not a fan of dealerships. I figured I could trust them, but now I'm not so sure.

I ended up spending $420 for an oil change, brake fluid exchange, and coolant exchange, along with inspecting various things. There was a notation that they couldn't access the transmission fluid, which I thought was odd. I'm not a huge DIY guy, but I change the oil and check the fluids on my Honda Odyssey mini van, so I'm not sure why they couldn't access it.

I previously took it to a dealership for the 5K maintenances, so I assume they followed whatever Toyota says should be done. For the 60K, though, my dealership wanted $300, or for $780, they could do some super extra maintenance. (I didn't follow everything that was included in both options.) I also tried a mechanic I've used before for the Odyssey -- he quoted $200 - $250, but he didn't seem super sure about things, so I wasn't sure about bringing the car to him.

Just wondering if it makes sense that those things were done for the 60K service.

Also, how hard is it to do an oil change + oil filter change yourself on a Prius? I know the 65K service is just an oil change, so I figure I'll do that myself and save some money.

Any advice for handling maintenance at 70K and beyond? (Which services should I have done and when, which ones are just an oil change, etc.)

Finally, the passenger side brake light is out, so I was wondering how hard that is to replace yourself, and where the best place is to order the part. I found one site that was selling it for about $175. I guess I need to replace the entire unit, as opposed to the bulbs?

Thanks.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y)!

There are some good videos in the Gen3 maintenance section. Changing the oil is easy once you have the tool to remove to oil filter;).
    Some of the other work you had performed also are very easy DIY jobs, so consider this forum before doing g additional maintenance.

Where in the great state of CA are you located?

3. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The tail light likely would be just a bulb on my Gen II. As you have learned, $2-3 at a parts place for DIY, $30+ at a dealer.

4. BradC

BradC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the welcome. Where are the videos you referenced? I poked around but didn't see them.

I'm in northern CA. I work in the Bay Area.

I'm pretty sure the light that's out is this one:

It's been out for a while, and as I recall, a dealer had previously quoted me somewhere around $200 for the part, which they said they'd have to order (so installation would be however much more).

Just wondering if that is something I could replace myself and where the best place is to order the part.

Thanks.

#4 BradC, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here you go:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos

If in Nor cal, there are salvage yards in Rancho Cordova that will more than likely have the rear taillight you are looking for. Not sure on pricing, but I have used them in the past and are reasonable on price compared to new parts. The taillight can be done, just involves some rear bumper cover disassembly.

What dealers have you used around the Bay Area? The only one I trust when I don't want to DIY is Toyota Vallejo.

Oil changes are easy if you have the space and tools. If not, there is a relatively active group of us in the Bay Area that occasionally do meet ups. Oil changes pit crew style go pretty quick:)!

Here's a link to that thread, if you are interested:

Possible Monthly install meets. Bay Area-Fremont

Hope that helps(y)

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its nice that we have a Prius group in the Bay Area :D makes me proud to be in California haha.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does that mean we can pencil you in for the next meetup:)?

Saturday June 24th for your calendar advance;).

Lock it down(y).

8. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    no :(

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is there a day you wouldn't say no to?

10. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The picture didn't load for me but I googled it and it seems to be an integrated LED, hence the greater expense and hassle than my Gen II.

Gen. 3 Rear Brake Lights | PriusChat talks about finding used ones for a lot less, so you might go that route.

11. BradC

BradC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the link to those videos. The Prius oil change doesn't look much more difficult than doing it on my mini van, so I'll do it myself next time.

I used Toyota 101 of Redwood City a couple times when I had the prepaid maintenance plan, since it was close to my job. I bought my car from a dealer in Chico, where I live on weekends (and when I can work from home and take vacation time), and have used them a couple times too. Between them and the dealer in Chico where I bought my mini van, I've found dealers to be a big pile of "meh." I'd rather do stuff myself or find a reliable mechanic who has reasonable pricing.

Thanks for the link to that thread. Yeah, it's really annoying that the brake light is an integrated thing that you have to replace in whole.

ILuvMyPriusToo and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If your traversing back and forth and need a hand, let me know. Just off of I-80 in Fairfield.

Good luck (y).

BradC likes this.
  13. BradC

BradC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! I have passed through that area many times. Many, many times.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The G2 brake light is composed of six LEDs. In fact I just replaced the right taillight assembly on my daughter's 2007 because some of the LEDs were inoperative. I paid $132 plus shipping for that part, at parts.com

The G2 tail, reverse, and turn lights are traditional incandescent bulbs.

BradC and ILuvMyPriusToo like this.