1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Ramp

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by syscon, Jun 4, 2013.

1. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was thinking of making ramp like on the link enclose, to have more room to work underneath.
    Corvette C3 Ramps - Build Home Made Car Ramps
    The plastic ramp are too low, I think they are 6in. I have a metal ramp 8in but it is hard to drive on to it.
    It slides on a concrete and I need to put extra pieces of wood 2x4 as there is not enough clearance in the front. Not to mention the car is not level.

dustoff003 and 13PV like this.
  2. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The light bulbs/switch installed into the ramp with the 300ZX on it is genius.

3. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  4. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed. The ramp is long, but narrow. Definitely would feel more comfortable with a friend guiding.

5. Perkins Family

Perkins Family New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Holy smokes, this is absolutely amazing and I don't know why this hasn't gone viral yet thank you very much for posting as I will be getting started on a set up similar to the 300z's two weekends from now, although I have read that they are sturdy but I'm wondering how durable they are and how many times they can be used until they have to be scraped and I'd be building another set.

6. lachrisb

lachrisb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder if one could sink the surface the car drives on and make a lip of sorts to guide the wheels so you wouldn't drive off... These look amazing!!

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The idea of DIY ramps gets into my head every so often. Then I give myself a smack and get back to floor jack and safety stands. ;)

8. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you keep them in a garage in dry condition and they are done correctly they will most likely outlast your car.
    My main concern is the ability to drive OFF from the ramp. It might be easy to drive up but getting the car down might be tricky; slight movement of the steering wheel and the car might be off the ramp :-/

In addition the incline must be done with correct angle as our clearance is only 6.5in distance between wheels about 110in
    Anybody good with numbers?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like his air meter.(y)

10. fokker

fokker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,
    while searching for an older post in a different forum, I stumbled across this one discussing ramps and thought I may be able to help out. I am the one who built the ramps with the 300zx on them, and I am more than happy to share insight/construction details with anyone who is thinking of building a set :)
    First off, to address some of the questions/concerns above: yes, you should DEFINITELY have a friend to help quide you onto the ramps. Yes, the ramps are VERY strong and will likely outlive yourself if you take care of them (I.E. painted/stained, and covered storage), and I would be happy to describe my (admittedly crude) strength test to anyone interested. Yes, the ramps are easy to drive on and off with even the lowest car; that 300zx you see in the pictures has a front lip that is only about 4 inches off the ground, and I drive on with ease. If they are built properly, driving off and on is so buttery smooth the experience will make you smile.
    In all honesty, if you are any type of car person, you will not regret building a set of these ramps. I really, really, wish I had built a set 20 years ago when I first started monkey-wrenching; it would have saved me countless discomforts, strains, and curses (to say nothing of time!).

11. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I checked their supplier website, they do not ship to the US or Canada:(. It's too bad, I liked them and was thinking about getting a pair.