1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY: Remote Start + attach 2 wires to car =Done (OEM fob with run times 15,25,30,45&60min)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by rrg, Jan 10, 2013.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, the fob does not go in the box. You use your original fobs like before, they just have added functionality for the remote start.

2. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting. Very cool solution. I'd be very interested to see what that thing does. It just bypasses the need for a key being in the car somehow?

3. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing is touched on the original 2 fobs.
    No extra fob is needed. The box I use holds the remote start module, nice and neat. I removed all the wires that attach to the module and I just soldered the ODBII connector leads right on to the board. This makes it very easy to install, except for the two additional wires in the original photos. I would like to eliminate the two wires but I don't see how.

Is your car the 2013 V wagon or the Prius Gen III?

The remote start module that uses the OEM key fobs are available from a few vendors.
    I always thought people would use a remote start if it was much easier to install and remove.
    People would be less worried about voiding the warranty.

thx.

4. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Butchbs1985,
    I just PMed.
    The wiring looks like it will work on the Prius v 2013.

Let me know what you think about my proposed testing.
    Thx.

5. xPETEx

xPETEx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of safeties are in place once the car is running? By that I mean if I use this to keep the air conditioner running while my dogs are inside the car is there any chance that they'll accidentally put my car in gear? Or what if it's running and a thief smashes the window? Can they drive it away?

6. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no takeover feature on the Push to Start Prius with this module.
    The engine will stop when a door is open everytime. Mechanical key or key fob used.
    I have opened my door standing outside with my driver door window open to reach in and grab the inside door handle. It stops.

To remote start the car in the first place all doors must be locked/closed. Hitting lock, lock & hold lock down on the fob to start the car from outside.

Once I get near the car and it unlocks the doors, the car stops. I always need to start and drive from the push button and brake applied.

Now you have a very good point about the dog accidentally touching the gear shift.
    I will need to do some additional test scenarios on that one.
    Great suggestion for hot weather use.

Oh, one other feature I am noticing is the defrost turns on automatically at a certain cold temp so the car is defrosted when I jump in. This is where the extended run times works great.
    But if it's not very cold it does not always come on. I don't know what degrees it works at.

xPETEx likes this.
  7. xPETEx

xPETEx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you test two things?
    1) with somebody else inside the car try remote starting it then have them press the brake and see if the car shuts off like an aftermarket starter would do.
    2) check to see what happens when the car is put into gear. I imagine it can't go into gear without touching the brake, hence the first question.

thanks.

8. butchbs1985

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Perhaps a sequence of operation would be helpful for those who'd like to provide feedback. Aside from these concerns above, features one may desire in such a device:

1. Auto lock the doors when activated. (just in case the user hadn't previously locked the car).
    2. What indication does it provide that the remote start is active?
    - In my truck, I wired up the fog lights so they're on when the remote start is.

Thanks,

EDIT: Can't believe I asked these when it's answered above :)

9. butchbs1985

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Regarding being put into gear by a dog or something because it the brake needs to be pushed AND the shifter moved to make that happen.

Good thought about what happens when the brake is pushed / car put into gear. Someone could potentially break the window and gain access that way and take the car if it doesn't shut off. Long shot I suppose because most would break the window then use the handle to open the door and it would shut off. Never know though.

10. jmrmotorhead

jmrmotorhead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Totally interested in this. Shoot me a PM!

11. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm starting to get more interest, so I'll post better photos or drawings this evening on how to find the two wires that are needed before you plug in the ODBII.
    Thank you.
    [​IMG]

12. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Additional Testing Scenarios:
    • Leave car with AC button on, turn off car walk away . Remote start the car from outside or in the house, jump back in car 30-60mins later the AC starts with the car and continues to run while it was remote started. Nice =) I guess it has memory of last setting.
    • Person inside car or dog, while you remote start the car from outside. The dog try's to drive away, puts shifter in Drive. Car will not respond, stays in park. Dog text's owner to hurry back. (ha)
    • Car running, dog inside, he hits the brake pedal first and moves the shifter to Drive. No response, car does not move out of P park. NOTE: I did this a bunch of time with the brake pedal and shifter. The car at one point shut off. (Fob was in the house and wife remote started the car while I was locked in it).
    • If thief breaks window and jumps in via the broken car window, not opening the door, he will not be able to move car out of park.
    Visual Indication Car is Remote Starting:

The car uses the turn lights, amber in color around the car, front and back as visual indication that it has started. They blink a bunch of times, like 2 or 3 in a quick sequence then stops blinking as the car continues to boot up. Oh yea, there's one or two extra locking beeps as you hit the lock button on the OEM key fob. It's the regular beep when you lock or unlock the car as you approach sound.

All these scenarios look good to me. Please keep the suggestions coming. I like to be as complete as possible. Thx.

Here's a zoomed out view of the same two connection from above that you need to make with wires prior to plugging in the OBDII. Here you can see the exact green and purple wire we are looking for.

[​IMG]

Specially built for Prius Chatters.
    [​IMG]

NOTE: I pre-programmed the module to the owners car year and run time requested.
    [​IMG]

xPETEx likes this.
  13. jmrmotorhead

jmrmotorhead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Awesome! I would love to try this out for you and give you a detailed review for other members.

Matt

14. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I appreciate the interest so far.

I am not avoiding people but I am trying to line up people I can meet with in person first to try this out and
    see how they handle the install and document the experience or any problems.

This needs to be done before I make more.

I have one person so far.

thx.

jmrmotorhead likes this.
  15. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    loving this home grown project.

keep up the great work!

16. outhouse

outhouse Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    This has all positive earmarkings for a clean install.

I would solder and heatshrink mine, but thats me.

I have the black softex in a Persona, ill need one of these for the three months when it hits 100F here.

Im interested.

17. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My question is how do you get around using the ODBII for dual purposes. I already have an Ultraguage hooked up there to monitor engine heat, fuel, mpg etc. etc... Can use a dual "T" splitter ODBII wire to run both?

18. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I've been running a Scanguage with the start module for 10 months now.
    This was a concern of mine and so far no problems. Also the T splitter for two devices works.
    I also can add a rj45 to specifically connect the Scanguage wire directly, for a clean install.

19. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can now buy a Y cable that is used behind the odbII connector, so my project is no longer needed.
    I will close this option and not make anymore going forward.

Thank you.

20. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    NOOOO, you will not make any more remote starter modules????
    I leave in Long Island, NY. We are state neighbors.....