1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY replacement of upper tail lamp?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tomv, Jun 10, 2022.

1. tomv

tomv Junior Member

Has anyone attempted to do a DIY replacement of the brake light assembly across the hatch (officially called the "high mount third tail light brake lamp")? I backed into a tree earlier this year and cracked the plastic (light still works). Found an assembly on eBay, but I am unsure of difficulty and specialized tools. Any help appreciated!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Removed a loose wing on a Gen2 Prius for repairs a week ago and had a good look at that challenge. It looks super easy. Best way to do it is find a wrecking yard where you can pull your own parts and get some practice doing the job and if you screw up removing it's no big deal.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Its relatively easy. Requires removal of the hatch inside panel. At that point you may be able to remove the led light assembly by disconnecting the connector and removing the light housing screws.

If there is difficulty routing the light cable, you can remove the spoiler which is held on by bolts and clips. There are a couple of clips on each end of the wing that can break. Without those clips the wing won't fit well.

I have a working light assembly and the two end clips that I will sell for a better price than ebay. I had a spoiler with bad clear coat so I changed the whole spoiler and light. Send me a message if you want them.

This video gives you the general idea. You won't have the blown out holes this guy is dealing with.

#3 rjparker, Jun 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    While you have it apart change the license plate bulbs to LEDs too

TGrracie likes this.