1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diy right control arm replacement Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jessiejosco2, Oct 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jessiejosco2

jessiejosco2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have ordered an OEM control arm and need to replace the aftermarket arm that a shop put on less than 2 years ago. Aftermarket control arms are not worth the savings! Get OEM. I am having a problem getting the front bushing bolt out. It hits the engine oil sump. Anyone run into this problem? I am thinking I will just jack the engine up to get it out of the way. I am used to working on old Volvos where this would not cause any damage but I just wanted to check before I try it on a front wheel drive.
    Also another thread mentioned taking the axel nut off, but I can't see any reason why you would have to do that to replace the control arm?
    I detest the local Toyota dealership and am trying to avoid taking it there.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What are you calling the sump the oil pan? Sounds like the last bozo's put the bolt in on the wrong end....but they got it in there so it must be able to come out.
    Can you take pictures so we know what your calling the bushing bolt?
    I think one side of the control arm mount the bushing side the mounting plate comes off. I think.

3. jessiejosco2

jessiejosco2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll try to load a pic tonight. It not like the camary control arms that have a removable bracket for the front bushing. The bracket on the Prius is part of the subframe and a long bolt goes through the bracket and the bushing.