1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Shade Visor Extenders from HDPE sheet

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by dcloye, Feb 18, 2020.

1. dcloye

dcloye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    During commutes, the glare or the rising or setting sun in my driver's side window is pretty bad.
    The Stock Prius Shade visors are notoriously inadequate. I tried a couple of the off-the-shelf visor extender products and they were pretty awful as well.
    So, I found a source of the HDPE sheets manufacturers seem to use for these products:
    Tap Plastics - HDPE M/M Opaque Sheets (Less than $9 for a 24" x 47" sheet.)
    I chose the Tan color for my interior but the Black, Natural, or grey colors may be more to your liking.
    I also bought a big roll of 1.5" wide beige elastic from Amazon.

Then I started sketching and cutting.
    The solution I came up with works and looks better than the one-size-fits-all products on ebay.
    The best part of my solution is it can easily be pulled out and angled up to truly cover the Prius window area.
    If I was doing it again, I think I would have gone with 1' wide elastic instead of 1.5" - the narrower strips would fit better at the edges of the visor.
    Outside of that, it seems to work perfectly. I expect it will last a good long while but even if it doesn't repairing or replacing any part of it will be cheap and easy.

Attached Files:

AmazingFacts likes this.
  2. AmazingFacts

AmazingFacts Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Great, thanks for the post. I will have to try this myself.