1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY: Spring Install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by andino, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Jwb2781

Jwb2781 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just ordered mine off ebay for $115 shipped! :) I can't wait to have them installed.

2. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm done with the install and the car is washed!
    Total install time took me around 4 hours. Not including the time spent running to autozone to pick up a breaker bar. 1 hour for the rears and 3 for the fronts. The only issue I had were those 22mm front strut bolts, but once I figured out you need to loosen the black nut and not the silver bolt, it all went smoothly.
    Thanks to the OP for the great write up!
    Now i just need to return the spring compressors to autozone. I love that you can rent those for free (you get your deposit back in full)!

2 people like this.
  3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, the 22mm bolts were the hardest part for me. I tried using my impact wrench & they didn't even budge. Good old manpower.........total install time for me was 2 to 2 1/2hrs. Gotta love air tools.

4. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You guys installed the new bump stops in front, right? I did, but the eibach instructions weren't clear on that. I notice they were definitely shorter than the stock ones. I love the rake now... the front fenders have less gap than the rears. I hate when I see cars with the opposite (back lower than front). And the car handles much better!

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't buy new 1's.....just used the OEM.

6. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ya, these came with the eibach pro springs. I didn't buy them separately.

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh, my H&Rs didn't.

8. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Macmaster05

how did you get lifetime Alignment for 150? I just checked this afternoon there were 199, I am just about to install Prius Springs Plug, and want to alignment about a week later, and really want to want lifetime alignment from Firestone, just hope that I can get your price.:)

V/r

Khoi Nguyen

9. BCP

BCP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great tutorial, thanks!

10. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Great DIY! Here's a few things to add along with a photo.

I few things I learned from my install.
    1. Wiper nut cover on driver's side is plastic. I was concerned with scratching it. You should be able to twist or push it to the side enough to get to the edge and then pry it off.
    2. My 3/8 drive impact gun made job much easier.
    3. Must have a 1/2" breaker bar or 1/2 racket with cheater to loosen and tighten front lower strut bolts.

Here are items removed to gain access to front strut tower;

[​IMG]
    Parts removed to install Plus springs by sfcyclist2012, on Flickr

11. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok so a few things I learned when I did my springs a week or two ago. First the lower strut assembly bolts on the front end, for me a 22mm bolt was enough and as far as loosening those bolts...WOW...I used a 16" ratchet with a 18" gas line as a cheater and it took all 130 pounds of my butt to turned the ratchet into a pretzel, without the bolts budging. With that being said, Loctite is some amazing stuff.

As far as removing the wiper assembly, TANABE SUSTEC Strut Tower Bar & Under Brace DIY Installation PIX !!! | PriusChat. Rodney did a great job writing up a tear down, and I know I referenced it when I couldn't remember how to take it apart.

The rear end was great to do, maybe a half hour to do both sides and done! According to the instructions that came with the TRD springs (which actually were pretty good if you never lowered a car before), the fear of unbolting both rear struts at the same time is that rear will drop low and stress the bushings. I did one side at a time and just had a friend of mine stand on the hub just enough to wiggle the spring out.

The alignment...in theory not 100% necessary unless you mess with the tie rod ends which there is no reason to even go near, or lower the car substantially. Lowering a car and inch does not change the camber massively, and toe wont be changed unless the tie rod ends are touched. However, just because it's not 100% necessary doesn't mean it's not a really good idea to have it done anyway, just to have any minor changes corrected.

Also a good idea to do other mods with this, specifically the strut tower brace just because you have to tear down everything to do that anyway

Bullet Salvador likes this.
  12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Anyone else install Plus spring and not get a alignment? Or better yet, got it check and no adjustment to toe needed?

If so, note mileage.

13. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't gotten mine done yet but I only have a couple hundred miles on mine. Nothing noticeable while driving though...well see in another week or two

14. Get More MPG

Get More MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This information is inaccurate. When you lower or lift a vehicle you are changing the geometry of the suspention. Your theory would be correct if the struts on vehicles were perfectly vertical 90 degrees to the ground but on almost ever vehicle they are not. Now you drop in a set of lowering springs and the toe changes, even ever so slightly. This is what causes premature tire wear (that people often refer to as camber wear and it is not) and the off center feeling after you lower or lift a vehicle. People associate camber with the cause of tire wear and the reason to get an alignment because that is what we see, it;s hard to see that the toe is off.

Trust me, I have lowered hunreds of vehicles and an alignment is highly recommended. Sure you can get away without one and you may not notice you need one but eventually your tires will wear faster than normal and you may have an unsafe steering pull.

PvPDX likes this.
  15. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I agree that at least it should be checked to see what the angles are. What I am curious to is how out of target it is. I have a feeling it's very slight if at all. I will get mine done in a few weeks.

Also, just because you didn't touch the steering rack, it does change geometry.

NTL, enjoying the springs.

16. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't mean to say getting an alignment was a bad idea. What I ment to say was that in a perfect world it isn't 100% needed. Is it a good idea, yes absolutely it is but dont expect it to be way off base. At the same time, dropping the car an inch isn't a massive geometric shift. For example I had a friend lower a tundra 6 in the front and 8 in the back (may have been 8 and 10 but I don't remember), that is a massive geometric shift that would have noticeable reprocussions. After lowering a car an inch, is alignment going to be on point? No, but running around like your hair is on fire looking for an alignment is a it irrational

We aren't really saying anything different. Just so we're clear, I do intend on getting mine aligned after a bit of time, why? Because it is a good idea to do...

17. Get More MPG

Get More MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While it is not a huge geometric shift, it is out of spec more than it may "feel" and by te time you notice the tires are already worn. I just finished lowering my car and shile it's not wildly out of spec, i do notice that it is a bit off center and there is a slight pull. the springs are starting to settle and I have a friend who is a master tech at a local dealer so the alignment is happening next week.

18. Yay123

Yay123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks amazing! can't imaging ever touch the spring myself...

19. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the DIY guide! I have the springs sitting in my garage. How difficult is a one-man install?

My Toyota technician friend says he'll help me install, but I have to drive out of town and work around his schedule. If I do it myself, I can work on it whenever I want and at the convenience of my own home. But gotta rent spring compressor & 1/2" drive breaker bar, and maybe buy some of the bigger sockets. No biggie.

The only thing I'm concerned about is running into an issue where I would need a helping hand.

20. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

If you're experienced, it's not very hard nor would you need a spring compressor and a breaker bar. I did it without spring compressor and just used 1/2 racket with long cheater bar. Key thing you will need is a impact driver though. G/L!