1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY steering and suspension

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Earthiest, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Earthiest

Earthiest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hoping someone can tell me how complicated this work is going to be and if it is worth it (granted extremely qualitative statement).

Shop just swapped tires, said it needs an alignment, which is does. Chewing through the new front tires already. Unfortunately it is a east coast car so it is rusty with 240,000 miles on it. Battery is getting noticeably weaker after a year of driving in the Colorado mountains. I'm a pretty good DIY mechanic but haven't spent any time under the prius.

Here's what it needs:
    -All tie rod ends
    -Ball joints
    -all 4 struts
    -rear drums and shoes
    -likely more parts

I hear there are several special bolts associated with the work but I imagine I can find the. Its so rusty I will be breaking a few as I take it apart.
    Also, for anyone who has done this work, what aftermarket brands are recommended? MOOG? There are several different brands available on Partsgeek

Thanks for all the help and insight.

Daniel

2. BreitrthnU

BreitrthnU Can you smell the premix?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Struts and brakes are easy with basic tools. so should the rest with basic knowledge of your car but I'm sure the tie rod ends are going to be time consuming, then just get it all aligned.

3. Earthiest

Earthiest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for the input. now if I could only fit underneath...