1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Transaxel replacement.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paul Schenck, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last week My 480,000 Prius stopped in the 104 heat while my daughter was running errands. IMG_4181.jpg
    Decided the P0A7A was the code I need to deal with.
    This weekend I dove in, dropped the engine with transaxle made the swap and reinstalled
    (Friday,Saturday,Sunday).
    On Start up after I’m getting C1310 and P3193, P3193, P3193,
    IMG_4182.jpg
    I couldn’t believe it, because I could feel and see the coolant pump working, and recalled getting gas the day before the problem occurred.
    Then I read the detail for the P3193 and it indicated the Crankshaft position sensor may be faulty as a cause???
    Has anyone got more experience than I on this?

iPhone ?

2. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No experience on this.

But I have accidentally run out of gas once. That thru lots of codes. The car would not start until I cleared them, then All was normal again.

Are you sure the fuel pump is running? Did the car actually startup or just throw codes?

iPhone X ?

3. Paul Schenck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I press the break I hear the fuel pump ticking. Just to be sure I added 4 gallons of gas (no change).
    I disconnected the crankshaft sensor ( I wondered if the codes would change) I got IMG_4188.jpg

I too have run out of gas a few times and cleared the associated codes, this is different. When I look at the data that caused the codes I see a difference in fuel pressure: IMG_4189.jpg and don’t understand what I’m seeing.

May have to consult with a higher power!

iPhone ?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is not fuel pressure, it is long and short term fuel trim. Don't think is means much on it's own.

I also don't think there is anything that points to the crankshaft position sensor. Not sure what made you think there was.

For the P0A90 there are 9 INF codes (239, 240, 241, 242, 251, 509, 602, 604 and 605) that will pin point the trouble area. You can retrieve the INF code from the FFD (freeze frame data).

Your P3193:

DTC No. DTC Detection Condition Trouble Area
    1 P3193 Following conditions are met:
    • Fuel low level signal input into ECM
    • Detection condition for P3190 or P3191 is satisfied
    • Out of fuel
    • ECM

This would indicate to me that if there is fuel, then the ECM is suspect. In addition, as the detection conditions for P3190 and P3191 is also satisfied to trip the P3193, it would imply it may be prudent to follow the inspection procedure for those codes, before pursuing changing the ECM.

Attached in the inspection procedure for P3190, P3191 and P3193.

Attached Files:

Paul Schenck likes this.
  5. Paul Schenck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks do you happen to have the inspection procedure for C1310 too??

iPhone ?

6. Paul Schenck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the assist, I figured it out!
    Dropping the Engine and swapping transmission required putting my Gen II up on jack stands. After the reinstallation I thought it would be a good idea to start it and check for any leaks etc. (I’m 6’5” hanging over a Prius on the ground any length of time is not comfortable). THIS IS WHAT CAUSED THE CODES!!!
    Why you ask??
    Me too! While I was reading posts I began to-think. About how the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) expects torque values to be within certain ranges. If the wheels can spin free those values would be out of whack.
    So this morning I took it off the jack stands and drove it around first cautiously, then aggressively till everything was nice and hot and normal!
    IMG_4191.jpg

Let that be

iPhone ?

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.