1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Transmission Fluid Change?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dcoyne78, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota part number is 12157-10010.

They are 18mm ID and 24mm OD.

2. AskSergeantWagner

AskSergeantWagner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope. Mostly went straight down into the hole below it. Some of it went on the cover and spread a bit but a shop towel was all I needed.

gliderman likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Taking the cover right off is not that much more work. There are a couple of different fastener sizes, maybe just mark them all with a number before removal, for insurance. Makes access easier, avoids drain hitting the cover, and preserves the weak hinge on the maintenance flap.

4. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try bwilson4web from these forums. He may be able to help out in Huntsville. Maybe a sample of your fluid can be added to his study...

LulzChicken likes this.
  5. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's not a bad idea... I almost forgot about him! I wouldn't want to bother him though. Maybe it'll be worth it if he can have some of my fluid, haha. I'll get in touch with him eventually and see if we can figure something out. Thank you!

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Keep us informed, I may be able to do a road trip.

7. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Lulz,

Your signature shows a lot of mod work on your car. If you can turn a wrench, you can drain and refill this simple gearbox. It's not Rocket Surgery. If you do your own engine oil changes, you can do this.

Did you see the pic of the funnel and extender hose? ~$6 for that and the 10mm socket and extension is all that is needed.

And if you want to add to the knowledge base, stop by the local Caterpillar/heavy equipment shop and buy a $15 postage paid oil analysis kit. You catch a little sample from the stream into the kit's bottle and send it in.

You don't need to burden anyone for this simple job. You could find a local car shop that could do it while you stand there and watch. Bring donuts !!

Want to rally the troops? Ask what ATF to use: Toyota's ATF WS, Redline D6, Mobil1 ATF, Walmart Supertech ATF, Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle, and on and on ..........

And they are not 'Crush Washers'. They don't get crushed. They are sealing washers and can be reused.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Troops, troops...

Stick with Toyota ATF WS. There's a nice warning in the owners manual to not use anything else.

9. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    But Troops ,,,

That nice manual also tells you to never change that nasty fluid. Which parts do you want to believe?

( I'm just stirring it up.:ROFLMAO: ..... so funny! Just change it. And follow only parts of what that manual has to say.)

{ I just like to use high-quality American-made superior synthetic lubricants, not just the easy to stock dealer item that is used across their fleet. }

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh, would you really do that? I'd hate to ask someone to do that for me when I could probably do it myself. I'm just a little hesitant to do this on my car. I haven't done my own oil changes or tire rotations either. I have the instructions printed out with pictures galore. Maybe I could take it to an auto shop and have them do it for less, provided I give them the instructions and the Toyota ATF fluid.

You are right. I do a lot of my own things on my car except for the oil changes and so forth. I'm just a little nervous about that. I'd rather pay the dealer, have them mess it up and then fix it, than risk me making a mistake. I guess it depends though... This doesn't seem very difficult. Drain and refill and you're done. It's just a matter of technique with funnels, tubing, etc... I'll figure out what to do. I've had my car for > 3 years and it's at about 30,700 miles. Now is the time I want to change it if I'm going to.

Thank you for all of your input everyone. I appreciate your help and advice!

11. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Where does the manual say NOT to change it? In fact, by specifying the fluid type to use, the manual has implicitly acknowledged/OK'd changing it as and when someone chooses to change it for whatever reason. It has just NOT mandated it. Absence of a mandate doesn't equal denial.

Are there really alternatives to ATF-WS that have been certified (meaning designed, developed, tested and then affirmed by the fluid manufacturer/marketer) for Prius PSD application?

12. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, every fluid I listed says it is compliant with Toyota ATF WS.

ATF WS was not " designed, developed, tested and then affirmed by the fluid manufacturer/marketer) for Prius PSD application"
    It's just the one and only ATF that Toyota keeps in stock for their entire fleet. It's good stuff. But there could be better fluids, you think? And where does ATF WS come from anyway? Is it synthetic? It doesn't say so on the label.

The Prius 'PSD' is not some magical mystery box.
    It's just a gearbox with gears and bearings (that never do any actual shifting) and two MGs.
    It does have an oil pump that turns when the engine does, (I think), but no fluid filter, like typical automatic transmissions.

Once again, I'm just stirring it up to see how there can be such faithfulness to some of Toyota's recommendations and not for others :ROFLMAO:.

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    While I might use any approvd compatible transission or gear box fluid in either a standard or automatic transmission, I would stck to the ATF WS flid for the Prius.

The fluid appears to also be the cooling medium for the electrical generator and traction motors for the power train.

I have yet find any of the other oil or transmission fluid manufacters state that their fluid is compatble to and approved for use in any of the Prius transmissions.

The fluid is easy to chnge and replace. $40 in not a great expense. It would also be no excuse for Toyota to assert that the hybrid power train warranty be voided for use of the improper fluid.

I'll change the transaxle fluid with the Toyota ATF-WS every 30,000 miles.

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When I 'correct' Toyota about their Tire Pressure recommendation, I admit it is the best for comfort, just not tire life, handling, braking, or gas mileage.

When I 'correct' Toyota on the Transaxle ATF change interval, I retain as much Toyota advice as is possible. You may choose to disbelieve the posted used ATF analysis done here if you choose. If you were suckered into an extended warranty, it may not even cost you anything.*

*I am unaware of any extended warranty actually covering any repair, on any car, ever. YMMV

15. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Jimbo,

I am well aware of the ATF analyses available on this site. I researched this subject extensively after I bought my
    Gen3 with 108k miles on 11/12. When I did a ATF change at 112k miles I was appalled at the analysis I got.
    When I saw that Toyota does not recommend any ATF changes, I was appalled.

I am the OP on this thread:
    ATF fluid changes ARE Required.

I am not making recommendations. I'm just trying shed some light on the maintenance of the Prius transaxle.

I believe it is not an exotic transaxle, but a simple, water-cooled, planetary gearbox, with 2 MGs and
    it needs a clean lube if it is to last as long as possible. I personally use only the highest quality lubes. ;) ymmv

16. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know what the big deal is.

Changing the fluid in the transaxle is a lot easier and simpler than in most all automatic transmissions.

There is no need to remove the pan with 10-12 bolts, remove, clean or replace a screen or filter, and to scrape off and replace a pan gasket.

17. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Agreed.
    Very easy.
    Once you have the funnel with the extra piece of tubing attached, it's easier than changing the engine oil.

18. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry Bill I had thought you asked how I dared correct Toyota even once, yet believe in most of what Toyota prescribes. I answered that question, if it was really some other question, I missed it.

It is like saying you can use 85 Octane in mountain states, it is not that Toyota is wrong, just a fridge condition they did not mention. I am not suddenly convinced I can't trust Toyota's recommendation of 87 Octane.

19. shawn.ne

shawn.ne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    After reading some of the threads on this, I went for it. The first hurdle was getting the fill plug loosened. I had to actually take it to a mechanic to loosen it for me, which he did very easily with a universal socket adapter (or two). No charge, but when I got home it still took me a half-hour of cursing to get it started. I've since ordered a universal socket adapter, since there's just no room in there for the tools I have.

Like a few others, I was puzzled after putting the entire 4 quarts in, but not seeing any dripping out the fill hole. Of course that made me a little nervous given the price of a replacement transmission, but after 7500 miles I have no problems to report. I guess my leveling job must have contributed to that. In any case, the amount of waste fluid I gathered afterwards was the really puzzling part, but like I say, no problems to report.

One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned, is that the fluid can leak out of the fill hole no matter how far in (or not) the plastic tubing is placed. I ended up solving that problem by stuffing some paper towel at the point where the tubing goes into the fill hole.

Happy to have it done, and thanks for everyone's help.

The photo of the tubing in the fill hole was taken before I started filling and put the paper towel in there. (And also before I put the drain plug back in.)
    IMG_20130125_132140.jpg

IMG_20130125_141543.jpg

DAFTEK likes this.
  20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you attempt to level the car at all? Personally I would be a little on the worried side that I might have too much oil in there.
    Thanks for the photos. I plan to do mine this summer. So what did the used oil look like?