1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do Americans need more Holiday/Vacation time?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Sep 1, 2010.

1. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you're just talking about more time off unpaid, then I guess that's one thing. I was thinking the thread was going to be more about deserving more vacation time (as in paid time). i would say to a certain extent that it's up to the individual as to what they want. If you are career driven and love it, then vacation is just time away from something you love. If you are family driven and the job is just a means to an end, then sure you want more time off to be with that which you love (family). the only problem i see is that if you are career driven and a family man (or woman). Then it's a balancing act.

long story short (too late) is that i think there's too many variables to try to decide a blanket statement of whether Americans get enough time off work.

2. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Given that I came from Germany, where I had roughly 10 days paid holidays plus 30 paid days off vacation... definitely a yes.
    The 10 vacation days I currently have are not enough.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By the way you all... have a great three day weekend! This assumes you have a Monday off. :)

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm, sounds like my Evil Ex Girlfriend

You are sure you have not met her?

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    I have slightly more Then 3 weeks a year 4 vacation. then the customary 9 days or so for holidays. but i am in a 24/7 facility so i don't actually get any holidays off unless they happen to fall on my scheduled day off.

I feel i am greatly underpaid however, but made the decision to make less money and work locally.

I work a custom shift 10 hours a day 4 days a week. I work sunday monday wednesday friday. And before you all say it, no i am not forced to work this shift. It is a shift That i handpicked.

This allows us To not have to use Outside daycare And my commute to work is 15 minutes. Mind you this is in a car That can't go faster than 35 miles per hour.

The job I abandoned that had much better working conditions and pay and a minimum 45 minute 1 way commute. The problem with the commute, various incidents often caused any additional 30 minutes of drive time 3 to 5 * a month.

Occasionally I miss the extra pay And a holiday flexibility, But i NEVER Miss the additional hassle That came with the job

6. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need more vacation time, I can tell you that ... I can't remember the last time I took a vacation, but I think it comes with the territory.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    annd you still get to go to disneyland!:rockon:

8. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I cannot even remember taking a vacation!! I just make so many hours... Some days I barely have time to update my Facebook page or to write forum posts!! :D

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, but she should meet my evil ex wife. They'd get on like a house on fire! :eek: