1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do anti-theft Cat Converter plates work?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Kactus, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Kactus

Kactus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hello-

I need to get my cat replaced but am worried about it just getting stolen again. do the aftermarket anti-theft plates actually work?

2. Kactus

Kactus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    - oh and is there one brand that's recommended? cheers

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    To a degree to deter the thief. They are all about the same, so buy on the basis of price,

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like many things, they'll work until they don't. It might save you from the first hit, but someone will come with the right angle grinder.

We had a member here who mentioned having one of these cheap plates cut offer when they had their cat stolen for the second time.

If going with an aftermarket cat option (not the usual in California), the plate would cost about the same as the aftermarket cat.

Best not to rely on only a thin plate of aluminum if spending 2k+ on an OEM replacement.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here are some pics of the Cap City muffler shields:).

Gen3:
    0A5CF203-F822-4484-BABF-C334FE6DD3BF.jpeg

Gen4 / Prime:

431C510F-C692-4ED9-9652-773E1277D290.jpeg EF3E8143-B4BF-4A1C-92B3-FA5059514744.jpeg

They also make one for the Gen2;).

They rivet right on, so should be a good deterrent (y).

donbright likes this.
  6. BayPrius

BayPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some guy was saying that they cut through his shield and stole the cat

7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source:whistle:?

8. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, there have been reports of thieves cutting through other theft deterrents (I believe the ones that add a bunch of metal wires around the catalytic converter), but none that I’ve heard of that got past a shield. And after I had my catalytic converter stolen twice last year, to the tune of over $3000 to replace each time (thank God insurance covered it!), I decided I’d better get a shield. It cost $305 installed and I haven’t had any theft problems since.

Stephanie Cornet and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. BayPrius

BayPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some very trustworthy guy I don't know on reddit

10. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    just one more reason why it should be legal to shoot thieves. the kind of vermin that steal are definitely worth less than a converter; for that matter less than the cost of the bullet they deserve.

Flowbee and krausternet like this.
  11. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my shield works in that it makes me feel better. but i know it is not perfect. its part of a layered risk reduction strategy.

it basically works by changing the risk/reward calculation that the thief goes through inside their head.

without a shield, it would be a quick 30 seconds job to jack up, cut the pipe, get the cat and run.

with a shield, they have to carry some kind of heavier duty metal cutting gear, get under the car for maybe 10 minutes, and make a huge amount of noise as they cut through several feet of sheet metal. this is very likely to draw attention in the places where i park and so the thief will likely not take the chance and move on to some more low risk endeavor.

Merkey and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Ccj2106

Ccj2106 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi .. For me so far yes. I had to put on the cat shield plate. I think I have replaced 5 cats thus far before the plate. Going strong since Nov 20

donbright likes this.
  13. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You would think there are some sensitive alarms that would pick up the vibration. I KNOW back in the day there were alarms that would go off if the car was jacked up.

Might look into that. To some people that cover just gives them something extra to scrap.

Stephanie Cornet and SFO like this.
  14. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I bought one and installed it myself. I go back to the old adage locks are made for honest people. If thieves want something bad enough they'll get it. To me a couple hundred dollars was worth piece of mind.

donbright and Stephanie Cornet like this.
  15. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, Real Life came and tested my theory today. Went out to start my car... sounded like my front bumper was grinding on a curb... but it was actually the Resonator that was laying on the ground getting dragged by my cat shield.

Apparently they cut out the resonator, (the big piece just behind the cat, but not the muffler), got spooked, dropped it, and left. My cat is still there behind the shield, my muffler is still there, and my Resonator is now in my cargo area... with a cable holding up my floppy muffler pipe.

So.

The Cat Shield saved my Cat.... but it will not prevent someone from trying to attack it and causing a bunch of damage and hassle.

I mean I even had the little Cat Shield sticker on the back of the bumper and everything! Can't believe they didn't see my sticker.

On the plus side I now have an almost straight piped prius. It sounds really ... interesting.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe they did see your sticker and just decided to cause damage, just because, you know, they are vindictive SOBs.