1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do any other models inspire such hatred?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pyccku, May 28, 2007.

1. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 28 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]451129[/snapback]</div>
    I'm just curious why your profile shows you as owning a 2004 Prius? Do you or don't you own a Prius?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nark @ May 28 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]451100[/snapback]</div>
    With the exception of Escape-Hybrid, which used Prius's as a templete and never got beyond a draft, I haven't ever seen an owner-written guide for any other vehicle. Has anyone else?

The Prius User-Guide came from need, generated in part to keep lack of information from contributing to negatives... like the hatred. Other vehicles don't stand out as much in look or features, so they simply haven't necessitated anything beyond old-school stuff. And yes, some of the need simply came from lots of owners requesting it.

As for tire info, you've already got what I planned to provide. It's not in pro & con format, but the info is still there.

3. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You may also be surprised that someone you see driving SUV may be driving Prius on other days. There are not that many households that own two hybrids and 4x4 has its value in quite a few cases, especially in winter. After all, if family owns 48 mpg Prius and 18 mpg on average consumes 33 mpg that is not bad.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I think that Kate Moss does.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 28 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]451149[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, we've owned an 04 Prius since new. Its my fiance's daily driver. I drive a Lexus ES300. I like the Prius, it just wouldn't be the car for me as a daily driver.

6. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the word hate shouldn't even exist, the fact that the Toyota Prius is one of the few Toyota's which many people write slander about is a clear indication that there is a certain percentage of the population that wont move forward.

i believe that prius owners are open to new technologies even if it doesnt come on a Prius, if an american car company releases a amazing hybrid vehicle that gets crazy good gas mileage im sure that we would be welcome to suggestions, as myself has seen on this forum time and time again, i could partially agree with the owner of the Lexus in saying that some of us here have a bias when determining a choice of vehicle for someone that is in need.

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One of the few? Say "Toyota" on a GM F-Body board and see what they say. You'll be shocked. Look at the uproar at NASCAR over Toyota joining the ranks.

Among the..ahem...redneck American population Toyota is a much hated brand. "Rice burners", etc. I had a guy one time at a wedding western Maryland call my Lexus a "pathetic rice burner" to my face, just completely out of the blue when I went to get something out of it. He said "how can you drive that pathetic rice burner?" Its is hardly just the Prius.

I didn't let it bother me much since it probably costs what he makes in two years. ;) He wasn't trying to be mean either, he legitimately wanted to know. I've known the guy for a decade, nice guy too.

8. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a lot of people associate the lexus ES with the toyota camry, both built on the same platform, but the ES packs amenities the camry lacks, i personally like the ES a lot. The Prius compared to a Lexus ES is a totally different car, the prius is purpose built for a different reason than the Lexus ES.

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It doesn't make a difference, he didn't know what kind of car it was he simply knew it was Japanese.

For the record, I am completely aware of the platform the ES rides on (about 20% of the ES is shared with the Camry), my intent was never to compare the two just to tell a story that shows the Prius is not the only vehicle that draws negative responses from a certain subset of the American public.

From this line:

I'm going to guess its an American brand directed forum. The issue is more about the Prius being a Toyota than it is anything else. These sort of people are EXTREMELY brand loyal, and EXTREMELY anti-Japanese.

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 28 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]451008[/snapback]</div>
    I have absolutely no criticism of EVs. EV drivers are another story...

11. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To play a bit of the devils advocate here . . . i think a lot of those drivers who 'hate' the prius is because a lot of prius drivers, who want to conserve gas, drive slowly and block their cars on the highways . . . Consequently, there's the perception that prius drivers are annoying/snobbish.

The Prius, through no fault of its own, is the poster child of the hybrid revolution, that is slowly but surely becoming more and more mainstream in society. As such, there are those who feel that Hybrids are not that the wave of the future. It's their opinion and there's no point in trying to beat any sense in to those who feel that way. I've already decided to stop trying to convince those people who try to slander the prius, whenever there's a hybrid bashing thread, I just link the thread to the Prius myths and their rebuttals thread on this site. You may think you're fighting a losing war against those ignorant fools but in reality, i believe the general public is more than receptive to the idea of owning a hybrid.

When I first got my 05 two years ago, my gf and her parents all thought it was 1) too expensive, 2) too much maintence, and 3) not worth it. I guess when the price of gas went up my more than 1$ a gallon and my prius has been hassle free for the past two years, they've changed their minds and just drove a prius home on sunday.

The general public make decisions with their wallets, and reputable sources. And so far, I have yet to find one reputable source, i.e. car and driver, consumer reports etc. . .that bash the prius. So those ignorant fools can continue to live in denial for all i care, I just enjoy knowing the fact that i'm saving gas/money.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ May 29 2007, 01:05 AM) [snapback]451322[/snapback]</div>
    Oh good, are we going to bash darelldd now? I want to go first! :D

(sorry darelldd; couldn't resist)
    Tom

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 28 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]451104[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I've heard that before. A decision was being made on whether to get a Prius or a Honda Hybrid. It came down to getting a Prius (which was made from the ground up to be a hybrid) to make a statement and getting a Honda (which is a conversion, except for the Insight) in order to "blend in."

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ May 28 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]450975[/snapback]</div>
    Now THAT is opinion. NTSB (fact) states that the advantage of being up higher is more than outweighed by the greater danger of a injury/fatality rollover.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 28 2007, 11:34 PM) [snapback]451291[/snapback]</div>
    It's not just w.t. SUV owners that talk that kind of smack. As a prius owner on the Lexus hybrid site ~ trying to talk about how great high mileage is / can be in our Lexus hybrid SUV ... one will get mucho posts about how unimportant that is ... how ridiculous it is ... to talk mileage, because it's al about image and ride/comfort.
    ??? :rolleyes:

15. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: