1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do current Primes emit the pedestrian warning sound?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by schja01, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Window has to be down. I only hear it when creeping along right next to a building, like when going through the McDonald's drive-thru. It is very low volume. Sounds like steam escaping.

schja01 likes this.
  2. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yours may not be working like my wife's Prime. The reason I noticed it was it's our second Prime. It may not be you, plus if it's too low volume, you can have the dealer turn it up to level 2 or 3. Just listen to level 2 or 3 before commit and make sure it doesn't drive you crazy being too loud. I think it is very helpful in slow speed parking lots and where people are walking around you while going very slowly.

schja01 and bisco like this.
  3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At least on 2017s (and I’d expect 2018s to be the same), yes, there is a pedestrian warning sound. It’s not a beeping sound if that’s what you’re listening for. It’s more of a rush-of-wind kind of sound, or like an amplification of the motor sound. Thankfully, it’s pretty hard to hear from within the cabin, unless you have your windows down.

4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hallelujah I finally heard it while pulling into the garage. So did my wife. Part of the problem is I didn’t know what the sound sounded like. To me it sounds like a 17 year locust but infinitely quieter.
    Thanks to all who replied.
    J

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A coworker calls my Gen 4 Prius my spaceship. :LOL:

6. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Having lived in Chicagoland a while back, I understand. A long time ago driving on the Tri-State (I294) near Ogden avenue, I thought one of my wheel bearings was failing, only to find out exiting, that it was the wonderful cicadas screaming at me. Very lovely like a horror movie.

7. Jeff Cohen

Jeff Cohen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Mine sounds like shhhhh-oooooo-shhhhh-ooooo. The wife's Leaf makes more of an electronic chime sound which repeats.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At least it's not the sound this Cirtoen concept makes:

9. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just changed mine to Level 3 with TechStream. Can't tell a difference yet but was in a parking lot with others noises. There is an option to turn the noise on when the car is sitting still also.

bisco likes this.
  10. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I took mine apart and shoved packing peanuts in against the speaker to silence it. I was going to unplug it but it will throw a code then.

11. Prime Alex

Prime Alex New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    I think some people are confusing the warning sound made in the cabin to alert the driver that a passenger or obstacle is present, which can be adjusted for loudness, and the sound referred to in the video that is emitted regardless of the presence of anyone and which is indeed as subtle as it is, well, not very elegant sounding.

Have there been any reports of anyone changing this sound to something more urbane?

12. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My son just purchased a 2020 Corolla Hybrid and the sound it emits is very noticeable. Sounds to me like a bad water pump bearing or slipping fan belt. Since the ICE is off the sound is not engine related. When put in reverse it’s twice as loud. Perhaps so people behind the car can hear it. Not so with the Prime.