1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do e-brake cables affect regular breaking in any way??

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Fretless, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Fretless

Fretless New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there, I've got a 2014 Prius V that has a number of minor issues. Mechanic keeps having to go in and free up start of e brake cable or caliper that seems to keep getting sticky. I never use the e-brake so as far as I'm concerned, it's not a big deal to fix right away.

Just to be sure, I asked him if the e-brake cable was at all implicated in regular braking oh, and he said he wasn't sure. Anyone know? My braking has been imperfect for a few weeks now as, though my regular brakes are supposedly fine, I have an appointment to get new front rotors in a few days. My understanding is that that will fix the pulsating I feel when braking.

Thank you!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your emergency/parking brakes are manual, not electric like some new cars. They are only on the back brakes but they operate the same piston the hydraulics use. So something is wrong if its sticking. I would have the mechanic check them.

3. Fretless

Fretless New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    He has apparently greased it up and worked it and tried to get it to unstick a bunch of times but says it just keeps being stuck. As I said, I never use the e-brake, so it really doesn't matter to me, as long as it is not messing with my regular breaking in it anyway.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The manual emergency brake operates the same back brakes you use. If the parking brake cable is free to move, one of the rear calibers is probably bad. It can cause drag on your normal braking since the brakes themselves are the same.

95208121-D391-415A-B888-995DE36F8F26.jpeg

5. Fretless

Fretless New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks much for the explanation. It sounds like I should get the darn thing fixed. I appreciate your taking time to reply.