1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do Electric Propulsion Vehicles Really Need To Generate Noise?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by dknight16, Sep 16, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ok then ... here's a DIY guide from fellow nutty peep's that have been there before you. I'm sure they can give you pointers.
    2011 Prius Install K3 Install - Train Horn Forums

:eek:

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As much as I agree with some of your sentiment, I also feel sorry for those that CAN'T see a vehicle. Unfortunately, when you protect those that need it you end up doing it for the rest that IMO shouldn't need it. I hate driving through parking lots just for the fact that most people don't even have the courtesy to put a little pep in their step when you let them cross.

However, I also don't know how much of a problem this whole thing really is, either. I've seen conflicting articles on the topic (granted, it's only been a few). I also don't live in an area with an abundance of blind folks, or at least that I'm aware of, to know if it seems to be a problem for them.

3. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The subject matter "here" is not about what we, as drivers, see or hear and react to in some manner.

Nor is the issue altogether about the handicapped. Those of us with perfectly good eyesight and hearing often, out of habit, inattention, would not notice an oncoming vehicle that is noiseless. How many of us have never had a pedestrian, deeply involved in a conversation, etc, etc, step off the curb directly in front of you.

I remember years ago wife and I Christmas shopping in NYC. I was standing at, ON, the curb waiting for the light to change when my wife grabbed my arm and yanked me backwards. Just barely getting me out of the path of a NYC garage truck that the driver had for some reason decided to 'round off the corner, not slowly (beat the light...??), drove up and over the curb/sidewalk right where I had been standing.

Sure, the driver was at fault, but how would that help me from 6 feet under.

4. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced