1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I have Enginer PHEV battery problems?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by pwp1943, Jul 24, 2010.

1. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have recently purchased and installed the 2KWh kit from Enginer. It started out by being able to take about 1.9 KWh from the house power to get fully charged according to the watt meter. This value has declined over the past 3 weeks to where I can only get the Kill A Watt meter to indicate that only about 1.1 kwh can be put into the batteries. Needless to say I'm buring through the PHEV batteries faster and faster. Plus the charge times are getting shorted and shorter.

Tonight I lifted up the cover on the pack and read the battery voltages from the BMS system after I got the red discharged light on the switch inside the car. Batteries 1-4 all have voltages in the range of 2.7 to 2.9 volts and the others, batteries 5-16, have voltages between 3.2 and 3.4 volts. I decided to start keeping track of everything that I can by recording the battery information. I plan to record them after the charger shuts down as well to see how much voltage is on each of the cells at full charge. However, this wide spread in voltages seems to be out of the ordinary.

From some of the posts I've seen about the Enginer batteries, 2.7 volts seems very low. But, how is it that I have 4 batteries that are low. I can understand 1 low battery when discharged, but 4??? Plus they are side by side???

Well, so much for my first post. I hope someone can tell me if this is out of specification for bettery voltages. What steps can I take to remedy this situation?

Paul

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    do you have the bms8c, or bms16c? there's been a few reports on the bms16c that cells 1-4 go low. i think maybe the 16c draws it's power just from those cells?

3. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the latest model (I think). It has the 16 cell BMS and the 5KW inverter.

4. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could try swapping cells 1-4 and 5-8. if the "new" 1-4 go low voltage, then that's a good indicator that there's an additional draw on 1-4.

5. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a similar problem with my 4kWh system where cells 1-4 would go below 3 Volts causing the BMS to shutdown the system. The folks at Enginer suggested I charge the group of cells with a smart 12 Volt automotive battery charger. I did this about 3 times and now those cells stay the same as the others. You might want to contact Enginer to verify.

1 person likes this.
  6. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great idea. I have an adjustable 20 volt/5 amp power supply and I can try it. I will go slowly (2-3 amps) and try to get the 4 low cells up to 3.3 to 3.4 vollts. Good to hear that this fixed your problem. I'll let you know how it works out.

7. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well your suggestion seems to work in terms of getting all the batteries up to 3.3 to 3.4 volts. I left the charger on for about 3 hours at 3.5 amps and 13.8 volts. After that I let the batteries sit overnight to balance. This morning I found them all up to 3.3 to 3.4 volts. I still plan to monitor the batteris with the BMS to see if they stay up to that level. I will also see how many KWh I can put into them with the watt meter. With luck the problem will be solved or if it happens again I will have a solution.

8. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi PWP,
    My BMS16C system takes power from Cell #1 to turn off the charger when you get a Cell above 3.8v. Also, it seems to balance groups of 4 cells first and then after one group of 4 is fully charged it transfers that energy to the next group of 4 cells. This is just my observation from what I see in my data.

I would suggest that, when you feel you need to do a balancing charge,...
    1. First do a normal charge with the Enginer charger until you get a normal charger shut down. Most Cells will be around 3.6v with your lowest cells below 3.4v
    2. Then do the balancing charge on the lowest group of 4 cells as you did. This will probably always be cells 1-4. This can go up as high as 3.6v.
    2, Then you can charge a single cell up as high as 3.6v. This will probably be Cell 1.

Be carefully. You will find that it takes a long time to go from 3.3v to 3.4 and then between 3.4v and 3.6v the voltage will climb very quickly.

Because The BMS16C seems to balance groups of 4 cells, you will see that after the second group comes up to a full charge, the charger will hit its 58v cut-off point before bringing the last group up. That is what has happened to you. The Balancing charge corrects this and you should stay stable after this.

Attached is a history of my charges after installing the BMS16C.
    BMS16CWeek3.jpg
    Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  9. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dan -

Thanks for the information. The results from depleting the charge today led to the voltages being about 3.1 volts on cells 1-4. So I put my charger back on those 4 tonight to try and get them closer to the other cells which are about 3.3 to 3.4 volts. I have a pretty good power supply that lets me limit both the current and voltage at the same time. This should be a safe way to add charge without going over the safe limit of voltage.

From what you said above and Jeff said in his earlier post I may need to do this more than once. So I redid cells 1-4 at the low voltage. Is it better to inject current at the bottom when the cells are depleted or is it better to charge all the cells up and inject charge with my power supply at the high end?

After the balance charge, I plugged in the wall power and was able to charge with 1.8 Kwh, which is the best I've seen go into the pack in at least a couple of weeks. I'm still experimenting with the cells and will see if I can get more Kwh into the cells if I keep balancing at the cell tops.

I was wondering what would happen if I take the plugs on the BMS which sense the battery voltages and switch them around. Have you ever done that? Would it take the lower banks (1 & 2) and charge them higher than the two higher ones (3 & 4)? That would be a lot easier than having to haul out the power supply and plug it into the bank of four I want to charge independently.

Paul

10. MAD_JYNZZI

MAD_JYNZZI New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Enginer kits (old and even the newest) are haveing charger balancing problems.
    To make things right you should balance each serial pack up to the right voltage on every charge. This is not done in a good way today.
    Im waiting for my 4Kw Enginer kit, but the company suppling it wanted to test it before delivery. The have worked for a long time to come around this problem and has ended up building a new charging balancer system from scratch. I will probably have it in about 2 weeks from now.

11. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Mad –
    Thanks for the information about the Enginer supplied BMS. I certainly hope that I have a BMS which is good enough to properly control my batteries. I have the newest system from Enginer which is designed to balance 16 cells rather than the old system which required 2 BMS devices each having an 8 cell capacity. Good luck with your new system. My system works OK, but I am certain that it will get better after I get the cell balancing corrected. The current system was only taking 1.3 KWH from the house AC power. With improved balance I hope to bring that up to about 2KWH which is the number quoted in the sales brochure.
    Paul

12. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You won't get 2kwh, the maximum capacity is 1.6kwh (the kit only discharges 80% of the batteries). The amount of power used will be slightly more than 1.6kwh (due to charging inefficiency) but i don't think you'll get over 2kwh.

13. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Flan -
    I think you are probably correct with your assessment. I was reporting the reading on my Kill-A-Watt meter that is plugged into the house receptacle. After the receptacle comes about 60 feet of 16/3 wire which goes out to the car battery charger. That sounds like a lot of I2R heat loss in the wires plus there is a lot of heat generated by the charger. Anyway, my problem was that I saw the amount of power indicated by my watt meter and consumed by the charging process with a depleted pack was steadily going down. Plus, the length of time the car would use the auxiliary battery was decreasing as well. That was the reason for my post. All the responses have started me on a quest to use my 20 VDC power supply to either charge separate cells or banks of 4 cells that seem out of balance. When I looked at Dan’s charts in his post, there is an indication that these LiFePO4 cells will self balance with the provided BMS given enough time (weeks). My cells didn’t seem to be going in the right direction. They apparently needed a little help.
    Paul

14. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm on these forums a lot. i love seeing the engineer kits.

off stopic; shouldn't this topic be relabeled "balancing bms16c Engineer Kit" or something for future use?...

:rolleyes: only if i was a moderator...

15. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    V8 -
    Well I guess that is what this has turned into. However, when I started this thread I had no idea of what was wrong with my pack. I've had lots of help from other folks' responses. But it looks like this is a long term problem and the balancing could take quite some time. If you look at Dan's post in this thread, his charts indicate it could take several weeks before this works itself out. I will just have to monitor my cell voltages and ensure that they are within specification. I have already seen some improvement using the ideas from other PC members.
    Paul

16. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm glad to hear things are improving.

i've always had the best help from pc members :)

i'm thinking of a faq type of sorting ( prius - phev - battery issues - etc )

17. eMileage

eMileage Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't recommend it, especially given the warnings against reversing these leads in the instructions. :nono:

18. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I received the BMS16C a few weeks ago. I have not seen any evidence that it does any sort of active balancing. If you read the manual from the enginer website, here is what it the new BMS does:

One single BMS manages 16 pairs of battery cells, i.e a total of 32 cells;
    Suspending charging once any single cell exceeds 3.8V;
    Suspending output once a single cell drops down to below 2.5V;
    System sleeps if any cell drops to below 2V;
    Advanced cells inter-charging (balancing) feature at 1.0-1.4 A current (coming soon).

My own emphasis on the coming soon part for the balancing feature. If the new BMS makes under-charging, over-charging or over-discharging less of a problem, then, yes, after several cycles it could bring the string closer to balance overall. It looks like it is a matter of a software upgrade to turn the active balancing feature on, though in practice a balancing algorithm is non-trivial. Further, the sleep function may not be working as there have been reports of over-discharge for packs left unattended for more than a couple of weeks. Always recharge a depleted pack as soon as possible, regardless.

What I tell everyone when they have one or more cells out of balance is, at discharge, charge the lowest cell(s) up to the same level as the highest, then plug in the main charger. Assuming that there is NOT a problem with cells 1-4, it should be possible to go for months between such manual rebalancing.

19. olov

olov New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have run my 4K system for a week and run/charged every day. I have so far seen a reading of 3.9 as highest cell after charge cut off and a few cycles was done before installing using halogen lamps as load and that worked well fully charging and automatic shut off with the same automatic cut off at the lo end. I have so far not loaded the pack under 3 V lowest cell so it never cut off. After charging in the morning after all cells are around 3.35 V that to me indicate that some balancing is done by the BMS in whatever way. Olov

20. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Olov, a fully charged LiFePO4 battery may come off a charger at 3.7V, but over the course of hours settle to 3.35V. This is the property of LiFePO4 batteries in general. The parasitic energy draw from the BMS16c may speed this settling process but it is not balancing in the sense of shunting current from high cells to low cells. All appearances are that your string is in good shape if you aren't going under 3V for your lowest cell after normal use.