1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I have OEM Wiper Blades?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dwillem, Mar 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. dwillem

dwillem New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just got a 2012 C2 last week. It was my sisters car, she was the original owner. I want to replace the wiper inserts but before I order the OEM refills, I need to make sure my car still has the OEM wiper blades. How can I tell? My sister has no clue if they are the original wiper blades. I have spent so much time reading posts and and looking at parts websites and I am lost. Front C2.jpg Rear C2.jpg
    Can you tell by looking at them? Or If I take them off will they show Toyota branding? I have attached photos. Are they OEM blades? Will the OEM refills work?

#1 dwillem, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2021
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well given that your sister doesn't know, I suspect it's original. The rear looks OEM. The front most likely are. People usually change the wiper arm for aftermarket ones either because it broke (collision or just user error) and they didn't want to use an OEM one, or they replace it with those that have the spoilers that help push the blade down the windshield as it wipes (using the airflow as the car drives as the mechanism to push the blade down.

If they're OEM, of course the OEM blade refills will work.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why would you want cheap garbage OEM blades when there's so many better more modern options?

4. dwillem

dwillem New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. They look OEM now that I looked more closely and saw what the OEM ones look like on a video.

5. dwillem

dwillem New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't realize they were garbage. I thought maybe I shouldn't discard an OEM part off the car (the wiper blade) but if they are junk.... I'll take your advice and just get some good ones from the parts store. Thanks!

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Because not everybody shares your twisted opinions. :eek:
    Over the years, I have had much better "luck" with OEM refills on almost every car I have owned.
    I buy mine at the dealership and install them in the parking lot so I can take them back immediately if there is a problem.
    Note: Incase you haven't noticed, wiper "refills" and really hard to find these days.
    All the major parts stores want to sell you a whole assembly; sometimes the whole arm.

PriusGuy32 and durr like this.
  7. dwillem

dwillem New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The main reason I want to keep OEM blades is aesthetics. I like the way they look. Some of the aftermarket blades look different and won't have the same finished look. And shopping online, you don't really know how they will look. Another reason is that I could get all 3 refills from Toyota for like 23 bucks. Come to think of it, I've had two brand new Toyota trucks in my time and I don't recall ever thinking the wipers were problematic. Maybe I'm just not as discerning as some. The wipers and defrosters on old cars were so terrible, all new cars are a dream to drive in the rain to me.

And it seems wasteful to throw away the entire plastic blade every year or more when just the rubber is bad. throw away generation...

#7 dwillem, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  8. RobAustin

RobAustin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Toyota OEM wiper blade is on top,

Bottom blade is TRI-CO Exact Fit

Attached Files: