1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I have Smart Key or what?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by SCR, Dec 28, 2012.

1. RonKo

RonKo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I can't believe I am reading this....

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sometimes touching the driver's handle groove alone is not enough. There is this processed tree pulp thing in the glove compartment that in the old days was a source of information for the ruling class that learned to read the arabic alphabet which was invented even before the flat screen TV. Yes, a game changing result of the printing press culminated in... wait for it... the owners manual. In said processed tree pulp and ink assembly (conveniently available even when AT&T drops your call), it informs that on occasion it is required to touch the bottom of the drivers handle as well as the top. Seems to be required when it's dry and your hands are clean. However mine will usually work through cotton gloves.

The 5 has the ability to open via the passenger and hatch doors. As said above there is a trick to setting up the car so that all doors and the hatch open at the same time the driver's door is touched.

Procedure: With the car off, Press and Hold "Lock" and "Unlock" keyfob for 5 seconds to change the keyfree mode

#22 rjparker, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  3. 1911Tex

1911Tex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, the v will keep running if the fob is not in the car...however, when you turn it off, the headlights (auto) and interior light will stay on until someone with the key returns to the car...and of course will not restart. I don't know what else stays on, but you can turn headlights and interior to off position. I found this out yesterday!

4. Akshan

Akshan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I

Hi there, i have got a prius 2012 and tried using to unlock and lock my car though smart entry by touching the handle but it does not work,i also cant find any switch under my steering wheel to on/off smart entry.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    keyless button.JPG
    Assuming it's a Prius v wagon (the forum you are in) there is a button under the dash between the steering wheel and the brakes. You could also have a dead battery in the key fob, an incorrect keyfob for the car's programming, etc but if the keyfob works otherwise then try the button in the pic. Other signs of the rf function includes interior lights coming on at night as you approach.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2012 Prius no longer has that button under the steering wheel.

How do you start the car then? I wonder if the battery in your key fob is low. All Prius v have a Smart Key System - the difference is whether it's only on the driver's door (1-dr SKS) or whether it's on both front doors plus the rear hatch (3-door SKS).

You can go here and read the manual that came with the US-spec Prius v

2012 Toyota Prius V Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't you use the physical key from the fob in the door lock to get in the car and then hold the key fob very near the start button and press the button to start the car when the fob battery is shot.

You also put in a new battery every few years into both fobs.

And I even have my passenger bring her key with us on away from home trips so one of us will have one when needed. No fun getting stranded.