1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I HAVE to drive it home TONIGHT?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Apr 13, 2005.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've managed to keep my mpg 275 miles into this tank at about the 58.2 mark...much of it even slightly higher at 58.4 before today's little 'cold snap'.

Tonight, when I get off work, it'll be in the low 40s or high 30s..or maybe even low 30s. I'm almost sure to drop to the 57+ range and it's just so darn hard to push it UP....not nearly as easy as pushing it down.

Tomorrow we're supposed to see high 60s....if I could just wait until then to drive her home.

Do you think I'm getting a tad too obscessive!? :? :wink:

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I feel your pain.

Mine is sitting at 58.6 about 230 miles into the tank and it's supposed to be in the high 30's when I leave for work in the morning :)

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

say Evan just push a gurney into a ward and settle in for the night. No need to even drive to work tomorrow and chance getting it even lower. Maybe swap a shift with another Dr. and go home in the late morning. Compulsiveness about fuel mileage will be readily understood by the little lady.

4. ecprius

ecprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know what you mean. In our neck of the woods, I fret more over short trips. I have to fight the urge to say "Let's take the Corolla" for those evening and weekend in-town jaunts because it'll bring the Prius mileage down.
    We end up in the Prius, though, because dropping into the high 50s from 60+ mpg is way better than who-knows-what from the Corolla's 30+ mpg.
    - Ed

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow. I always ask myself if I have to go TO school... not if I have to drive home. I usually don't want to get up at 7am and drag myself to class though. It also helps that I get much better mileage on the way home so driving is more fun.

Accelerating to 55 mph in a cold car on the way there and hitting 4 stoplights along that stretch which are usually red in the direction I'm going while going uphill really makes worrying about MPG more stress than it's worth.

Don't you have enough on your mind being a doctor and having a family? Grad school and a husband take up all my thoughts! :)

But I sure do envy your numbers! I am happy to get 44 with the route I drive.

Good luck... either with the lower MPG numbers or with the irritated wife... :)

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wife's away at a conference in Orlando...so that's not an issue....I've got a cold ICE and a cold BED!

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

so now that the hot tounge and cold shoulder is out of the question, the gurney is the answer to your dilemma

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i know the feeling too. i was at 54.9 mpg at 252 miles. but the weather turned cold and actually had hail storms 2 of 3 days this week and now my mileage is done to an unimpressive 52.7 mpg... oh well, next week summer gas starts... when that happens, 54.9 will no longer be good enough...

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wah ha ha ha!!! It was a sultry 46 degrees, I only cheated a little bit (drove 35 in the 35 where I usually go 40 and 40 in some 45mph zones). But, I managed to push my mileage up to 58.4mpg with 286 miles on the tank!!! Who hoo, still with 4 or 5 bars on the fuel guage and prices are back down to around $2.02/gallon at Wal-mart.

Now, can I manage this for another 200+ miles?

10. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Take 175mg of Olanzapine and call us in the morning.....IF you can! :sleeping:

11. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Driving home from Houston (250 miles) had me sitting at 52.1 MPG. My commute and lunch runs around 70 miles or so round trip. These are the figures each night as the mileage from slightly lower speeds brings the average back up.

Sunday 52.1
    Monday 53.3
    Tuesday 54.1
    Wednesday 54.8

By tonight it should be at 55.3 and at the end it will be around 56 MPG and 600+ miles. Evan- which stage of Prius driving is being able to guess in advance what your mileage will be?

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"81146)</div>
    LOL!! I think I'd put it at something like stage 3a!