1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I Have to replace aux. battery Every 2 years?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cheeper, Oct 21, 2018.

1. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been trickle charging 3rd battery; does not stay charged very long. I've saved 1st 2 batteries. Tried one, charges fast. Do I change these or with winter coming on, buy #4?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The batteries should have a warranty?

You should use a charger that charges with 4A to 10A with an AGM charging setting. Nothing less, nothing more

#2 JC91006, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    cheeper, jerrymildred and DLC82SV like this.
  3. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Prius doesn't seem to do well charging those 12 volts. I trickle charger mine once or twice a week.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2008 = 10 years

3rd battery = 3+ years / battery

there's a lot involved with the 12v. brand, model, warranty, usage, parasitic drain, leaving a lite on, etc

no one buys a new battery every two years. some replace on a four year schedule in hot climes prophylactically
    mine last 8-10 years

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wonder if Poster #1 & #3, unintentionally drain the 12V down by sitting in the car in ACC mode, listening to the radio repeatedly and for prolonged periods? If so, it will take a long time for the Prius charging system to fully charge the 12V battery.

Poster #1, possibly Poster #3 too, might have aftermarket accessories installed that always remain HOT, thus the continual discharge and weak 12V battery?

It seems clear that both Poster #1 & #3 are not using a smart AGM compatible charger.

A trickle charger is intended to keep a battery that is ALREADY fully charged from discharging. It is not intended to resurrect a a dead or discharged battery.

Read Post #8) State of Charge chart, AGM compatible battery chargers.
    Is my inverter coolant pump slowly failing? | PriusChat
    Right tool for the right job. Get an AGM compatible smart charger.

jerrymildred, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My CTEK's on your list. I would say most any smart charger would be fine, AGM "compatible"

At least judging from my CTEK's manual. the compatibility is that they recommend charging with the higher voltage setting (snowflake symbol on the charger), with spiral wound AGM's (like the Optima Yellow Top). They also recommend that setting for any battery, is severe cold weather.

For conventional case AGM (like the ones from the factory), they suggest to just use the regular voltage setting, nothing special.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the looks of the sc1305

James1964 likes this.
  8. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  9. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    First you should try to determine WHY you are having so much battery trouble.
    MILLIONS of owners totally ignore their 12 V battery and it lasts 5 years or more.

Are you in an extremely HOT climate ?
    Have you tested the charging voltage while the car is "running" ?
    Have you checked that there is no current flow when everything is supposed to be OFF ??

I think you should STOP buying batteries and spend the money on finding out what is really going on.

Note: I wish people would stop using the term "trickle charger".......because a real cheap trickle charger is virtually worthless and sometimes causes more trouble than it fixes.
    If you have a smart tender type automatic battery maintainer (good) please do NOT call it a "trickle charger".

archae86 likes this.
  11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The charge profile for an AGM is NOT the same as for a flooded or gel battery, therefore if the charger used does not have the correct profile for the AGM as used in a Prius, it will not correctly charge it.

cheeper likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I never use a charger except as a precaution when grid charging the traction battery in case a dome light gets left on too long. It may be that the "trickle charger" is not made for your battery, as has been suggested and is killing your batteries. Under normal circumstances there is no need for a charger.

cheeper likes this.
  13. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's not forget that the inverter is not designed to (re)charge the 12V, but to maintain it.

cheeper and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Beg to differ on 12v batteries in hot climates. 2008 lasted nine years and was still functional when proactively changed. 2012 has seven years and counting (delivered nov 2011). Both suffered a couple of discharges. In every case the inverter did a stellar job of charging and especially maintaining them. Cars driven daily helps. Certainly they do go bad but they are in a relatively conditioned space away from engine heat and shock and their normal loading is almost zero. And they are sealed agm batteries which are superior to cheaper batteries. I agree the problem needs to be found. I would start with a verification of the off state current draw. Measure without a key nearby and allow time for the ecms to fully shutdown. Should be less than 20 ma. Then turn on the hatch light (a common issue when the hatch fails to close 100%). Some add on boxes like security or amps may be sucking power. It is a small battery. Finally I agree a trickle charger can ruin a battery especially if its that cheap one from Harbor Freight or most other rebranded equivalents. The only time I use a “battery tender” is when I have a battery in storage.

15. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No one said the inverter would not recharge the 12V, only that it is not DESIGNED to. A good multi-stage charger designed for AGM batteries IS designed to recharge them, an inverter is not. Toyota engineers are REALLY smart folks, the inverter does a great job, but a dedicated charger does better.

audiodave likes this.
  16. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you have ever changed an alternator on a conventional car the directions say, "This alternator is NOT a battery charger". They tell you to
    charge your battery before you start your car with a new alternator.

05PreeUs and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You can "differ" all you want but you will still be wrong.

A vehicle DRIVEN in a hot climate is somewhat different than one just parked out in the sun for months on end.

Heat is HARD on batteries. That is a fact.
    Look it up.

05PreeUs likes this.
  18. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know how common it is but some batteries are actually made for warm climates. I learned this when I took a battery to Walmart to be tested and the guy told me it was a southern battery. There was a "S" at the end of the group number. I don't know how common this practice is but it was a Walmart battery made by Johnson Controls.

#18 padroo, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  19. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why, I bought it a Walmart. :O

bisco likes this.
  20. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, guess I'll order battery # 4. Thanks for your comments.