1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I look slower in my prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rachmaninoff, May 18, 2007.

1. jeremyandmelissa

jeremyandmelissa New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Posting from Miami which was recently voted the number ONE city for rude drivers!

My wife and I used to drive a Chevy Blazer one month ago. We were rear-ended by some douchebag and finally realized this was our chance to get a prius. We've had our new (used) Prius for only a couple of weeks now, but we've noticed several habits of non-prius drivers:

1. People here drive really close to your rear bumper. It doesn't matter if you're driving slowly or not.

2. People tend to launch off the starting line when a light turns green only to stop at the next light as I come cruising in next to them on EV mode. (suckers!)

3. People always seem to drive faster than we do now. But we are admittedly driving slower out of caution and fuel efficiency.

4. We always wave at other Prius drivers, (as if to say, "Hey, way to go! Us too! We love this car!") but no one waves back. What's up with that s**t? Come ON! Team prius here right?

5. Miami Beach is freakin' "Hummer Central" on the weekends. I feel as if a hummer will eat a prius for breakfast. We just smile and smirk at gas being 3.40! Ha

Does anyone else ever try to "sneak-up" to people in a parking lot while you're in EV mode? What fun! :lol:

2. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It is complete INSANITY. People are causing themselve great physical harm, not to mention the harm to others the ram into when things go array. I was traveling behind a few cars, ready to exit just last night.

I saw some commotion ahead of me and the very car that had sped past me at 80-90 was crumpled up against a tree off the exit ramp. two other cars had stopped to help the driver. I felt bad, but not bad enough to get out, what could I do anyway.

Well 4 hours later I past the same exit and the police were there doing their investigation. I don't know about your town but when the cops are still there 4 hours later, in CA at least, it means there was a fatality.

I'm befuddled as to why speeding through traffic and endangerous yourself and others is so important. Am I missing something? Even when I had my vette, I was too worried that I'd get a scratch to drive it too fast.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bomber991 @ May 19 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]445935[/snapback]</div>
    Huh? DRLs don't help you see, it helps other see you.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adamg @ May 19 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]445926[/snapback]</div>
    Ever since the Central Artery opened, Boston has actually not been that bad to drive in (and now with my GPS, the infamous unlabeled streets isn't even much of a problem anymore).

I have never actually driven in Miami, but I've taken taxis there a few times - Miami not only earns the title of worst U.S. drivers, but they seem to be proud of the fact that they do. Actually, Berkeley, CA has drivers that make Miami drivers look sane, or at least not as chemically altered. And then there are places like Italy or Mexico City which are to Berkeley in terms of bad drivers what the New York Yankees are to a middle-school softball team.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ May 18 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]445494[/snapback]</div>
    Driving with only the parking lights on is illegal (any time) in many jurisdictions.
    I know for sure in California.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate...action=retrieve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adamg @ May 19 2007, 07:13 PM) [snapback]445926[/snapback]</div>
    I question the validity of that survey when, "Minneapolis-St. Paul was rated the most courteous city in 2006 but slipped to the middle of the list this year." :huh:
    What the heck happened in Minneapolis-St. Paul to instantaneously raise their rudeness quotient?
    Did a bunch of Bostonians move there and affect both ratings? :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Bransons @ May 19 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]445963[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I purposely sneak up on Hummer drivers. :D
    The freaked-out look on their unsuspecting faces when they realize they are no longer protected by several tons of boldness enhancing metal, plastic, glass, and crap is PRICELESS!!!! :lol:
    I'm sure they feel really small and ineffectual when they realize those stealthy Prii can snuff out their lives like a Ninja warrior. :lol:
    [of course I'm only joking. :( ]

6. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 18 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]445367[/snapback]</div>
    It's True! :p

7. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Breaks?!

Ugh.

Brakes!

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 20 2007, 03:51 AM) [snapback]446021[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Sufferin,

Last time I was in Minneapolis/St. Paul, I was revelling in the clean dry air during the trip from the airport to the hotel. Then a rotund, cigar smokin twit got in front of the taxi, and for the second half of the trip it was sinus hell.

On the SUV rudeness, I have to admidt I have done the same thing. Had a guy with a F150 (older, clean pressed flannel shirt, retired good 'ol boy? ) drive very dangerously into a parking lot, as I was backing out of a spot. I took his specific actions to be a personal comment at me and the Prius. So, I stealthed around the line of cars, and was dead silent at 10 mph headed right at him as he got to the back of his truck and was about to step into the lane. It was priceless, total jaw drop expression, but am not proud of myself. He stepped back out of the lane. Sometimes one cannot resist non-verbal communication.

As far as tailgatin SUV's, I have been able to learn to ignore them, however. On friday, had one pass within inches to pull up infront of me to get to a stop light. Apparently he thought his signal mirror made his vehicle 3 feet shorter. He ended up at the head of the line at the stop light, doing lots of manuevering to wiggle by a few more cars. But, 10 miles later up the highway, I passed him in the slow lane as he was dead stop in the fast. He did not even notice. Finished the week at 60.4 mpg at 250 miles on the tank. Traffic has been very slow recently.

Interferance limited strategies are completely different than unrestricted resource strategies. Kinda like the difference between a Deep Space communications system, and a Metropolitan Cellular radio system. The Prius is the Cell Tower of the automotive world. And the diesel-SUV is the deep-space dish antenna. And most SUV drivers seem to be out in Deep Space, with how they drive.

9. rachmaninoff

rachmaninoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusBoyAZ @ May 19 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]445769[/snapback]</div>
    that exact thing happened to me a couple years ago while i was driving my Jetta. traffic came to a dead stop on the freeway and the guy way behind me didn’t see it or something... smoke from his locked wheels and everything and i found i had driven into the emergency lane to avoid getting smashed. I didn’t know i had that kind of split second decision making skills. He came so close to actually hitting the car in front of me, when he finally came to a stop he pulled to the emergency lane behind me. i don’t know what was going through his mind but i know he knew i saved him from probably totaling both our cars--he was going FAST. ABS FTW

10. OwenKealy

OwenKealy New Member

I've noticed a little bit of this behavior, myself.

Just yesterday I was in an Exit Only lane, bound for the exit right up ahead. This SUV whips around me, punches the gas, and pulls back in front of me. We were about 1/8th of a mile from where the exit branches off. He beat me to the top of the ramp by a stunning 5 seconds.

When there are people like that (who punch the gas and speed off when there's no benefit) make me laugh. Esp. at $3.40/gal.

The car is like an opitcal illusion, though. I was surprised by the interior room when I took it for a test drive. . . and am still a little surprised that three adults can fit with relative ease into the back seat of the car. :blink:

11. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ May 20 2007, 07:31 AM) [snapback]446061[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, c'mon, gimme a brake with the bad spelling! :lol: ;)

12. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 18 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]445367[/snapback]</div>
    You can say that again, they also do so while using less gas. Owners of the red prius tend to be much more sophisticated and better looking too.

13. wayne60014

wayne60014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think its the car, I think its our changed driving habits. I've notice car passing me on freeways, cutting me off to get in front only to get stopped at a red light when I am driving my prius. Prior to purchasing the prius I drove a 07 Camry and a 03 Sequoia, I was the one passing everyone on the freeway, impatient with people driving the speed limit, tailing cars so I can pass, but since I started driving the Prius, my driving habits have turn completely the opposite, I am more aware of my speed usaully at or around five to seven mile over, coasting to stop lights and leaving plenty of room to coast during heavy traffic on the freeway. The other day I was driving on a congested freeway with a big suburban behind me, I left plenty of space (3 to 4 car lengths) between the car thats in front of me, so that I can coast without hitting the brakes every few seconds, I could tell the guy driving behind me was getting impatiention. After several miles, he finally honks the horn and flashes his lights at me, I guess he wanted me to tail the guy in front of me like he's doing to me, instead of leave a few car lengths. I just laugh and continued, finally the traffic breaks abit and he charges pass me, flips me off and speeds away. I laughed again and shook my head as I watch him speed off, cutting in and out of lanes and traffic. But you know whats the real funny part, a few miles later I saw the same suburban on the side of the freeway, pulled over by the state patrol, now that just made my day. :lol:

14. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusBoyAZ @ May 19 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]445769[/snapback]</div>
    I have noticed this same thing. Some drivers of SUV's and large pickup trucks are furious at anyone who drives a Prius. They are mad about high gasoline prices. Deep down, they are mad at themselves for their foolish choice of vehicle, but instead of admitting that to themselves, they would rather express anger at us.

I had one guy in a 4X4 truck make an intentional partial left-turn at me in an intersection, just to try to intimidate me. I know he saw me because I had my headlights on, we were close, and there was absolutely no way under the circumstances (speeds, etc.) that he would not see me.

Hey, don't blame me because I chose a fuel efficient vehicle!

Harry

15. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i, too live in miami.......& it definitely IS the rudest city for drivers! i have had my prius now for 1 1/2 yrs & yes i have noticed that everyone assumes that i will be driving slow....i have had so many drivers pull out in front of me that its a wonder that i have not had an accident so far. you just have to be super vigilent here. i have had many tractor trailers pull out in front of me......( 2- backto back this weekend) . when there was no one behind me its really distressing. i know that driving can be a pleasure for many.....but here in miami its simply a nightmare. dont bother putting your blinkers on in traffic; when you do this.. the slowest cars speed up to stop you ! i am surrounded by gigantic suv's & hummers galore! i can't imagine their gas bills each month. my former car was a honda prelude and i spent $100/mo (it was premium gas). i now average $48-65 now! so now i just take my time & try not to get into that "macho" rage... and i am now a bit more peaceful. lately, i have notice that many of my coworkers are now turning.... more toyota & honda gas savers .......i think they will come around! ;)

16. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius Toric @ May 18 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]445087[/snapback]</div>
    First off it isnt the car. When I drive my F350, people do that to me too, its like hello 8000# truck here doing 55mph! What they cant see this big mofo with 4 lights on coming at them? They think because im big I drive slow? Most are in for a rude awakening when I wind up going right around them after they have turned, usually covering them in smoke because I have the pedal mashed to avoid slamming into them or someone else as I avoid an accident.

As far as the car goes, most think the Prius is a slow car that runs on batteries, and cant go very quick, but it does and can beat most cars off the line across the intersection. In my opinion, I just think there are too many morons who want to be the first to the next stop light.

My Motto, drive smart save fuel, bitch about the cost of gas, drive dumb, waste gas, you have no right to complain about the cost of gas.

17. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is your car magnetic grey? If so, that might explain it. Not because you're attracting other cars like a magnet ;) but because you could be blending in with the tarmac and people literally don't see you. I used to drive a dark grey Mitsubishi Galant. A few months after I bought it I was rear ended while sitting at a stop light by someone who just didn't see me standing there. Caused $3,000 worth of damage. Several other times people had almost backed into me because they didn't see me.

18. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is your car magnetic grey? If so, that might explain it. Not because you're attracting other cars like a magnet ;) but because you could be blending in with the tarmac and people literally don't see you. I used to drive a dark grey Mitsubishi Galant. A few months after I bought it I was rear ended while sitting at a stop light by someone who just didn't see me standing there. Caused $3,000 worth of damage. Several other times people had almost backed into me because they didn't see me.

19. PriusBoyAZ

PriusBoyAZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ May 21 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]446764[/snapback]</div>
    YES my car is magnetic grey! This is a troubling hypothesis, now I feel as though I'm in danger.

I wonder also whether the Prius rear break lights are difficult to see in the daytime -- they are, after all, LEDs in a clear enclosure rather than a large glowing piece of plastic as on most other cars. It's actually happened to me twice! About a week ago I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic and glanced in my mirror and saw a car coming up on me frightfully fast when he then slammed on his breaks and pulled into the shoulder area to avoid hitting me.

I'm spotting a pattern here that I don't like.

20. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I always have my headlights on during the day, and never turn the switch off at all, even though they are expensive HIDs, It pays to be "seen" by other drivers. I also have magnetic gray, never realized someone might not see me because I would blend in. thats a good point.