1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need protective undercoating for my Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vinnysca, Jan 20, 2007.

1. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

This is my Prius' first Winter. Do I need to have my undercarriage coated for protection from salt on the roads? Do any of you out in the East like me periodically have your Prius undercarriage coated at Ziebart?

Vince.

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    not needed for any late model car.

3. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Jan 20 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]378405[/snapback]</div>
    How long do you intend to keep your car?

I got undercoat for $140 which I thought was a good price. Not only helps protect from salt but quiets road noise a bit. If I could have gotten the full Ziebart package (spray into doors etc.), I would have.

4. Wetnabber

Wetnabber New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Jan 21 2007, 12:03 AM) [snapback]378513[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to get the complete Ziebart package, but can't get my dealer to assure me that it will not affect my warranties, if undercoating is added in doors and under hood. He states it might mess up the electrical wiring in the doors & etc. He says that could void the Toyota warranty.
    I mainly want it to help quiet the road noise. I am not worried about the salt down here in S. Texas.
    You stated in your post "If I could have gotten the full Ziebart package, I would have". Do you mean Ziebart will not sell you the full package or what?

5. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Jan 20 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]378405[/snapback]</div>
    Aftermarket undercoating/rust proofing for new cars nowadays is a waste of money, and may do more harm than good, IMHO. <_<

6. dougbraun

dougbraun Junior Member

I got my Prius a couple of weeks ago, and here in NJ we just had our first snowfall of
    the season, and they dumped tons of salt everywhere. I looked at the underside of the
    car today, and almost everything was encrusted with a thin layer of salt.

The underside of a Prius has a lot of nooks and crannies. There are many places where salt
    could lurk and mess up things several years later. You definitely want to take
    a hose and spray off all that salt every couple of weeks during the winter!

Doug

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    According to Consumer Reports, aftermarket undercoating does more harm than good. All cars nowadays have rust protection from the factory. Aftermarket coatings can actually create places where salt gets trapped, accelerating rusting. Do not get after-market undercoatings. But if you are concerned about salt, washing your car is always good, being sure to spray well under the car.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Much better to wash it weekly. Clean the underside *thoroughly*, don't merely get it wet.

9. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Jan 20 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]378405[/snapback]</div>
    About 15 years ago we bought a Jeep Cherokee. The vehicle already had the factory undercoating. However, we went to Ziebart and had them do a complete undercoat job which included all of the inner panels. We did this because we frequently go to Lake Tahoe during the winter for skiing. Over the years, I did almost all maintenance on that vehicle. There was absolutely no rust on any of the parts covered by the Ziebart spray.

If I lived in an area where they salt the road, or if I was just planning on keeping a vehicle for a long time, I would get a complete Ziebart job without any reservation...

Regards,

Keith :unsure:

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did you ever look at a Jeep without the Ziebart protection?

That was also 15 years ago.

There is no reason to get aftermarket undercoating on any modern car.

11. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jan 22 2007, 08:00 AM) [snapback]378969[/snapback]</div>
    I have a later model Jeep Grand Cherokee now which replaced the earlier Cherokee. No Ziebart on this vehicle. I have noticed a couple of small rust spots on the interior metal panels (like on the tailgate). I have treated these areas with a can of spray undercoating obtained from Pep Boys.

I also have a Porche which I rarely use these days. Now that car has the best factory undecoating I've ever seen...

Keith :unsure: