1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need the whole TPMS sensor to fix air valve?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kikik, May 24, 2018.

1. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Or better yet, learn how to close it like this? :p

RMB and VFerdman like this.
  2. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My scanguage came and the version was 4.42 I called Scanguage and the woman I talked to said their newest version is 4.5 which has the Toyota tire pressure. Does that mean it will show ALL 4 tire pressures? How cool is that?! No need to check tire pressures anymore! She said since I just bought it they will exchange it. For previous buyers you can get it upgraded for $25 and they will upgrade it to the newest version!

#102 kikik, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    padroo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Let us know how it works after you get it, maybe do a short review.

4. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yes, def! It may take a while though, I haven't even dealt with the caps yet! It's making me depressed thinking about it :eek:

5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a thought about the metal caps. What if you (carefully) drilled out the top of the cap and then squeeze the remaining cylinder with pliers from the sides. With the top drilled out it may be more willing to deform and break the bond. Also heat seems very reasonable here. No need for a plumber's torch. You can use one of those cooking torches for creme brullee. They are cheap and produce much less heat. Seems a bit more appropriate for the application.

Best of luck.

kikik likes this.
  6. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Don't go to the dealer that will rape you just to replace a TPM sensor. Buy the original part from here for only $62 and let an independent shop install it or you can do it your self but requires Techstream and a tire charger to remove the tire from the rim. 2013 Toyota Prius Suspension Parts wheels Tpms Sensor - OEM Toyota Parts

I buy all of my OEM parts from this e-store that's way cheaper than getting parts from your local dealer that would be twice as high.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That might be a bit exaggerated; my experience with the dealerships selling online is that they are discounting somewhere in the 25 to 30 percent range. You can follow the link you supplied and they even show what the normal dealer list price is ($87) and what their discount amounts to (29%).

And on the other side of the balance, sometimes you really just have to enter your order and click 'calculate shipping' (which you wouldn't pay at your local dealer) just to find out how much you'd really save.

Also, it can't hurt to ask the local dealer parts counter if they will discount. Sometimes mine will. They know the online competition is out there. They usually won't go as deep as the 25-30% online discounts, but again, when you figure in the shipping you won't pay, you can do ok there.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Still cheaper to buy online. I only paid $62.76 for a ball joint with shipping included. It would cost you $87.49 with taxes included for the same part at your local dealer. Original online price for the ball joint was only $45.81 with $1.00 handling fee and $15.95 Shipping. That's a 28% discount.

#108 eman08, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That may be, for this particular part. Overall, I've found that sometimes the advantage goes either way. (Sometimes the online dealers don't make it easy to predict the shipping charge, and sometimes it's on the high side, often for heavy or awkwardly shaped parts, but not always.)

-Chap

10. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It works for me. Based on my location here in Iowa, The TPMS would come to about $93.53 or more at my local dealer vs buying it online $78.04. The standard shipping is $15.95 for small parts. The bigger the part and heavier it is of course goes up. If I bought a lower control arm online, I would be saving a total of $46.70. Dealer price $216.19 * 7% taxes = $231.32 vs online $156.46 + $28.16 Shipping = $184.62. Still getting a great deal.

#110 eman08, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not arguing with your circumstances. I'm reminding readers (from many places) that your circumstances are common but not universal, and that policies differ between dealers (both the ones that sell online, and the ones you walk into and ask for discounts).

Policies also can differ between states. I live in a state that levies "use tax" on out-of-state purchases shipped into the state. Your state possibly does not. That can make a difference of 7% or so.

-Chap

12. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I finally took off the caps! It was actually really easy.
    First I tried burning it with flame like the video's BUT the Prius air valve is REALLY short so you can't place a plier or anything under it to hold the bottom part. Which means if I just twist the top part I was certain that it will rip out the bottom part and end in the same result. It was scary because there was nothing to prevent the flame to get on the bottom rubber part and I couldn't get to the screw part that well.

So, I dremeled it. At first I went vertical on the sides. It got it out but I had to take out pieces and it took too much time and I also cut into the original valve a bit because it's hard to see (the grooves are in together so it doesn't "look" 2 separate parts)
    With the second cap, instead I dremeled the TOP just put a straight line in the middle and put a slotted screwdriver and twist. It just cracks it and so easy and fast.

SO if yours is stuck, dremel the top it's easy to see because you can actually see the space in between and won't cut into it. Then twist the screwdriver and instantly it comes off. I was a pro and did it like in 30 seconds by the time I did the 3rd one lol!

SOOOOOOOOO GLADDDDDDDDD I didn't have to go get the TPMS sensor replaced! I thought I'd probably have to replace at least 1, but nope all 3 came off! :LOL: Yay!

VFerdman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Don't even buy the parts at the dealer, it's WAY cheaper to just go to an independent tire shop and get it done it's only $60 installed with OEM. BUT you might have to wait if they don't have the parts in stock. I didn't want to wait so I did the 3rd party and it was $50.

The tire shops probably get discounts so it's probably way cheaper than us consumers buying it off online and what not?

#113 kikik, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  14. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The shops marks up parts to make more money off of customers. They also charge a special fee called "Shop Supplies". Most shops use aftermaket and mark them up way high for the price as an OEM part especially if they changing something like a lower control arm but labor cost is generally lower than the dealer.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hate that charge, it's just to nickel-and-dime you, like destination charges, dealer preparation charges, documentation fees, fuel surcharges, airport improvement levees and the like. Hey: quote a price, and stick to it?

16. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Ya, I guess it depends on the shop you take it to, try a local independent shop the kind where the owner actually does the jobs. If he says it's $60 including install then THAT'S probably what it's "supposed" to be and all other places are marking it up.
    But even if it's $100 it's half off! (y)
    I'm just so happy right now that I can sing and dance all day long :ROFLMAO:

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As far as removing stuck (metal) valve caps, I took a look at ours: there's a hexagonal collar at the base of the valve, and an 11 mm wrench fits onto it pretty snug. Restrain it from turn with the wrench, then grip and turn the cap with pliers might do the trick.

18. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I don't have wrenches I only have the big fat ones where you adjust the width and I had a little plier but that too was too thick :/
    But yes, that might work too but if you already have a dremel it literally only takes seconds and comes off just like that :)
    I think it'll depend on what you have some people don't have torches and/or dremel and if you have to go out and buy it think about what will be useful in the future for you and decide. I'd take the dremel over torch any day though, I do my nails with this dremel :D

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah you've got to start collecting wrenches and what not. I got them one or two at a time, here and there. Probably cost a fortune that way, lol.

I once even bought a bag of assorted sockets at a thrift store, good deal.

20. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Wait, are you talking about the hexagon shaped thing at the bottom? You don't need to touch that, you have to grab the inlet above that. If you look at my photo in the first post you can see how it got ripped out. It was because I wasn't grabbing the bottom part. The hexagon part is just the base and the intake is coming out of that.

People who are doing this, YOU HAVE TO GRAB THE BOTTOM INTAKE WITH GROOVES PART. Not the hexagon metal part. Or it will come out and you will just sit there wind blowing up your nose in full force....

#120 kikik, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018