1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need the whole TPMS sensor to fix air valve?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kikik, May 24, 2018.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I missing something here? I thought your OEM TPMS had metal stem, not rubber stem as shown in your photo???

2. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Sorry you're right, it was metal and has grooves in it, I was pumping air in my sons bike and cleaning the rims and got mixed up (his was rubber) I corrected it haha!

But yes, you have to grab THAT part before you twist the cap off....I hope I'm making sense, I don't want anybody else blowing out air on their tires...

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What I was thinking was if you restrain the bottom portion, with an 11 mm wrench, then you can grab the cap with pliers and attempt to loosen it, without the bottom rotating. Not sure though if that's how/why it breaks.

4. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Conclusion, I would just dremel it off from the beginning. I took about 10 minutes with heating it, all the while worried about making something inside hot and trying to twist it off and heating it again, repeat repeat, questioning and worrying with the torch. It's a mental thing you just can't tell if it's hot enough or if I'm heating the inside etc etc. With the dremel YOU are in control YOU can adjust your pressure, YOU know how deep youre cutting and it felt way more safe and secure than just blowing out flames not knowing exactly how much to heat how long to heat etc. Maybe it's just me but I would recommend dremel and I have the confidence on doing it on other peoples car if somebody got it stuck, I would have no problem bringing my dremel and cutting it off. But with a torch I'd have to say, "Nope, you gotta do it yourself buddy" LOL!!

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yes, I'm pretty sure somebody with more experience with all these tools and torches probably won't have any problems doing it this way, I just couldn't do it...it was...STRESSFUL!! Hahaha....my heart was already pounding out of my mouth just from attempting to do it in the first place so my brain was going 100 m/h so there's that :X3:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the first one. Second and third, you were pro. :)

kikik likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or just not use metal cap on metal stem period!;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    IKR?! But it looks SO much cooler, SO LIT, SO much better than PLAIN OLD black caps!!
    I'm pretty sure there will be tons and tons of people coming to this post because come on!! EVERYBODY wants to be cool! :LOL:

Mendel Leisk and Salamander_King like this.