1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

do I need to jackup rear to install Tow-Hitch bar?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Big Sleaze, May 30, 2020.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    2020 Prime.

Do I need to jack up the rear to install my aftermarket Tow-Hitch Bar?

This vid is done up on real shop lift, but seems like could be done on ground if you don't mind rolling around on the floor a bit. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/Prius+Prime/2020/C11473.html?VehicleID=20205001338

Also, if I do want to put the car up on jack-stands, what are the good support points? Manual shows where to lift it using a floor jack, but....

1)you ain't supposed to trust a floor jack

2)what if I want to be able to change a flat with real spare but don't want to carry a huge floor jack?

Are there any good scissor-jack lift points like regular older cars have?

I"ve also got a pair of both steel and plastic rollup ramps, but when I tried on the front of my Saab the car was too damn low and front end too damn long and I had to build ramps for the ramps. Prius looks same or worse.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I suspect you could do it without jacking, but it would make it easier. I was thinking about trailer hitch on our 3rd gen, went so far as removing the metal bits where it would sandwich in: the strong point bracket on driver side, and muffler support bracket on passenger side. Just to see if I could manage it. Didn't raise the car for that.

Still, the prime is a different car, and again: it'd be easier raised.

FWIW, on 3rd gen, I put my safety stand cradles under these reinforced "humps" just inboard of the scissor jack bearing points. They have oblong openings, about 1"x2". I believe those are for some sort of locator pins, during shipping? They'll have (or should have) black rubber seals pushed in.

Anyway that zone, if accessible on prime, would be my best bet, it's heavier gauge, doubled up layer, meant to take some loading.

I've used it for years with our 3rd gen.