1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need to recharge just because car says so?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by IABoy987, May 24, 2020.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Today we took a short drive to get prescription and when we returned battery was at 89% but car says to recharge.

1. Do I have to "top off battery" every time, especially during these covid stay at home times of short trips? Granted, I might need a full charge if I needed to make a long trip, and regret no having a full charge. Its no hassle to plug in at night, just don't want to be overdoing things.

2. Looking at the battery indicator, green means running on EV but when it drops to bottom blue block, then HV takes over, right?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall anyone seeing that message. the battery prefers not to be charged all the time, and if you had to make a long trip, you'd be better off with a full tank of gas

jerrymildred and IABoy987 like this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. No, you don't have to. in fact, if you know you are not going to drive the car for a while you don't want to keep the battery fully charged and sitting.

2. Yes, hybrid battery gauge indicates green level State of Charge for EV and blue when it depletes EV range and switches to HV. You can also show the battery % for EV instead of EV range in miles.

IABoy987 and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Is what you saw a message saying something like “start charging I’m mediately after plugging in”? If so, that isn’t telling you to immediately charge the battery, it’s just telling you that charging will begin immediately after the car is plugged in, as opposed to not beginning until a scheduled charge event start time. I assume you don’t have a charging event scheduled.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Prime never actually needs a plug-in recharge at all, but will operate just fine as an ordinary gasser hybrid.

While this seems like a waste of the extra hardware to most of us, it made sense to certain buyers without convenient plug-in access who managed to get a better purchase deal (after incentives) on a Prime than on a regular non-plugin Prius, and to some others who desired the HOV stickers that are no longer available on the regular version. The Prime runs just fine without ever plugging in, plus can move back to EV capability if their access to plug-in outlets improves.

6. EdPalmer42

EdPalmer42 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I don't understand what would cause a message like that to appear. I've run my Prime down to --% . Yes, that's what was displayed. I don't remember if it displayed 0% and then --% . I've never been told that the car needs to recharge.

IABoy987 likes this.
  7. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As far as I can tell, the first owner did not set any charge times, so charging would start I guess on plug in like now. Will have to dig further into manual to see how to acess charging schedule and clear out any times.

bisco likes this.
  8. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It doesn’t say it needs to recharge, it just says charging will begin the next time the car is plugged in.

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, if it's the message I think it is, saying that and it's asking the driver if he or she WANTS to charge immediately on plugging in as opposed to waiting for the next scheduled charge. Tap the button on the display and the little blue light comes on showing that that's your choice. Don't tap it and you can plug in and walk away knowing that the car will charge next time it's scheduled to charge.

10. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I’ll have to look at it again to see the exact wording of the message. But I don’t tap any button when it appears and the car starts charging immediately when I plug it in, because I don’t have a charging schedule set up. So I don’t look at it as asking me if I want to charge immediately, it is only confirming my choice to do so, by not having set a charging schedule. Make sense?

I believe that is also the case for the OP. And I believe he was misunderstanding the message, thinking it was telling him he needed to charge immediately. I have to confess I thought the same thing the first time I saw it!

Those who have a charging schedule set up probably see it as an opportunity to choose to override the charging schedule. Maybe they see a message asking if they want to do that, but I don’t think the message I see is a question. I’ll look at it again next time I go for a drive.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know what it's like without a schedule, because just about the first thing I did when I got the car 14 months ago was enter a charging schedule. So here's what it's like with a schedule. Note that before you tap the button, it gives the scheduled time and type of charging. After tapping the button, it says it'll charge as soon as you plug in. My guess is, that if there is no schedule, it's going to show something like the bottom photo every time you shut off the car.

IMG_1786.jpg IMG_1787.jpg

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You are correct about what shows on the screen when no charging event is scheduled, except that the "Charge Now" button appears to be dimmed (compared to your screenshot, so I'm not sure if it is functional at that point. Anyway, I have never tapped it and the car starts charging as soon as it is plugged, so I don't think it is necessary to tap the button if no charging event is scheduled.

I believe this is the screen the OP saw that made him think the the car was telling him he needed to charge immediately. As I said, I also misinterpreted it the first time I saw it. :(

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, if there is not charge event scheduled, the only thing the car can do when you plug it in is to charge. It has no other option.

IABoy987 likes this.
  14. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, so when no charging event has been scheduled the message is not "asking the driver if he or she WANTS to charge immediately on plugging in as opposed to waiting for the next scheduled charge". It is simply informing the driver that the next charging event will take place immediately on plug-in. So I believe my response #8 above to the OP was correct, since he had no charge event scheduled.

IABoy987 and jerrymildred like this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think so, too. Hopefully, @IABoy987 will be back soon to confirm our guesses. He must not hang out here as much as we do. :eek: ;)

IABoy987 and Hicksite like this.
  16. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That may be a good thing! :LOL:

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope, I hang out at railroad and model train forums. I come here for when I need knowledgeable answers from experts, of questions the manuals don't seem to answer. Or when you find the answer, it seems "hidden" under what seems to be an unrelated topic. Go figure (maybe something lost in translation from Japanese to English).;)

bisco likes this.