1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need to replace the ignition coil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joe Flies, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Joe Flies

Joe Flies Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When checking my spark plugs, I noticed I couldn't get the wrench around one of the plugs. After looking closely, I could see it's because there was a loose spring sitting on top of the hex base, presumably failing out from the ignition coil.

I got the spring out and reinstalled the coil pack and not getting any codes. Do I need to replace the coilpack anyways if I'm not otherwise seeing problems from the missing spring?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it were mine, I think I'd see if I could get the spring back into the igniter so it would stay there. The silicone boot can be taken off the igniter for better access and put back on.

If I couldn't get the spring to go back there and stay put, then I think I'd replace that igniter.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wait and see... Misfire warning code / periodic visual inspection will answer your question.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While it may well work, with the spring out, you are probably making two sparks on every power stroke: one from the coil terminal to the top of the plug, and one at the plug tip where it belongs.

After driving around for a while, you'll probably be able to see evidence of that on visual inspection.

With my US Gen 3, I'm used to thinking of visual inspection there as kind of a pain, because I need the windshield wipers and cowl out to do it. But I've forgotten if that's needed for Gen 2.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only have to remove windshield wiper cowl on Gen2 for valve cover gasket and similar stuff... Spark plugs accessible with no significant disassembly. But yeah, I'd of spent a long time getting that spring back in there before giving up on it. Probably would of even tried other springs from my spring collection.