1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I need to replace this? 08 Prius 96,000miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Triangle_Gator, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Triangle_Gator

Triangle_Gator New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    fellow owners, first time visiter here. I have a 2008 Prius with 96,000 miles, original owner. When I changed the front brake pads last weekend. I found this bushing crack. This is under the transmission. I am not sure what this part is called. I was thinking to replace it. Can you please help with an OEM part number or part name? I don't feel anything wrong with the car. Do I even need to worry about it? Thanks!

IMG_5698.JPG

Honey2017 likes this.
  2. Honey2017

Honey2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    First time owner myself however i know nothing about this. Just wanted to say anything cracked i would replace. Better now than costing more later. Hope you find out what it is. Good luck

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just about to order one for myself. Engine torque dampener. OEM part # :43310-39065

5. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, it's a motor mount, or in this case, because the part doesn't really bear the weight of the motor, a "torque dampener." What this and the other motor mounts do is compress and expand slightly as the motor shakes during operation. This keeps a lot of the vibrations from the motor from transferring to the frame, while still keeping the engine firmly attached. As they age the inside rubber material will harden and not suppress the vibrations from the frame as well. A small crack or two is probably okay, and just something to monitor (I'd probably check every oil change). However if a chunk falls out, there are large cracks, or you hear harsh engine vibrations when driving you should replace it. When they fail you can hear the metal on metal vibrations when the engine's weight is pulled in one direction or another (hard acceleration, braking, or cornering depending on the location of the mount). Also, they're designed so that when they fail, they won't let go of the connection between the engine and the frame, just allow the metal parts in the mount to bang against each other.

I've never replaced one of these on the Prius, but my 2004 Ford Focus would eat through a motor mount every 50k. It had an engine especially known for noise, vibration and harshness. If you replace all of the mounts on an older car, the text time you drive it, the engine will sound new from the interior. So smooth.

Justdidit likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    #6 Mendel Leisk, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Many of times when mounts have been unavailable or I have been too expensive I have glued (filling with glue) that type of mounts with poly urethane glue. Torque dampening types have always worked perfectly, but you do need to wait for long enough that glue is fully cured before putting any stress on it. As with all the gluing getting the surface clean is the key.

8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It doesn't appear to be cracked. Look at the Ebay link in post #4. The new part appears to be the same.

kithmo, m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  10. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assumed that the OP could see smaller cracks that aren't visible in the photo, not the intended spaces in the middle of the mount. Hopefully Triangle will post back.

Hasan, Mendel Leisk and valde3 like this.
  11. Triangle_Gator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks to all for the quick replies. I took a picture from distance when I took the wheels off to change pads and did not go under the car (not enough clearance for me :)) . I have changed several bushings and a couple engine mounts on my MDX and may have been a little too sensitive about it. I will go under the car and check on it now that I know what a new one is like.

12. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Installed my new engine torque damper 43310-39065

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

Car feels solid - can't move the engine from underneath the car like I used to.

Triangle_Gator and Kevin_Denver like this.
  13. Triangle_Gator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----