1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

do I need to take care of these things?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fintonissimo, Jan 30, 2010.

1. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car is at 34K miles, and I'm wondering if I should check out the following things before it goes out of warranty:

1) right front passenger seat squeeks at the hinge point...can they eliminate the squeek, is it worth the time and trouble to ask? Can they actually fix it?!

2) my brake pedal "barks" a little when I push on it. Although the sound doesn't really bother me, is this a symptom of something which needs (or will eventually need) attention?

3) The climate system on rare occasions does something weird. It sounds like the fan is changing speeds on its own (or maybe like it is going into recirculate mode on its own) even though I don't have it in automatic mode, and I haven't changed any fan speeds or other settings myself. Is this normal, or something to be concerned about?

Apart from the normal Toyota maintenance schedule of the car, are there any extra things that would make sense to have looked at? (They have offered a long list of things, which I have already said no to!)

Thanks, Chuck

PS Unrelated to this post...I accidentally cleared out my mileage info (2 years worth since I bought the car) by hitting the reset button. Is there a way to get it back?

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might be a good time to look into the extended warranty if components are giving you trouble/concern, but I'm guessing you don't want to have to shell out the extra $1000. That said;

1. Squeaks are always a pain to show to the dealer. They'll want you to reproduce it so you'll probably have to take them on a test drive. It'll probably squeak more when the weather is cold so pick a cold time (early morning?) to have this done.

2. I've never heard of a barking brake pedal, but I have heard my brakes make a grunting/scraping sound when my brakes/wheels are wet from rain, etc. It's not something to worry about unless it's doing it under dry weather too.

3. The fan changing speeds is normal and helps stabilize temperature.

No way to get your mileage back. Don't worry though - it was never accurate. It'll be no time before you build it up to what it was again.

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be normal in automatic mode, but he specifically stated that he has the climate control set to manual (i.e. constant fan speed). That doesn't seem normal to me.

5. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to confirm, I don't have the automatic climate control turned on to my knowledge. I pressed stop in the display and then selected the fan speed manually. It operated at a certain speed, and then after awhile the sound changed as if it was operating at a higher speed; yet there was no indication on the display that anything changed, and I hadn't touched anything. It happened again today. Although this has been rare, it has done this ever since I bought the car. I always figured it was some unknown feature of the car...

6. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem there, it is apparent most of the time. However, it is much less when somebody is sitting in the seat. I just question whether or not they'll be able to do anything about it!

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another undocumented feature...maybe this is an indication that you have a loose connection in the wiring harness leading to the fan motor. If you can demonstrate this to the service writer, it would be good to log the issue in writing.

Try the highest fan speed and see if the problem becomes more evident.
    If you can demonstrate the squeak, then the dealer tech probably can fix it. There's a general TSB available on the subject (covering most Toyotas, not just Prius.)

9. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Even if the climate control is not on full automatic, it's still possible for some functions to still be on automatic. Generally, if you select something manually, only that item is manual. It's possible it's switching outlets -- dash vs. floor & dash.

10. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is switching outlets, I don't see anything in the display to indicate that.

How would I know whether I'm fully in or out of automatic climate mode?

11. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I brought the car into the dealer today. I sat in the car and tried to duplicate the brake "bark", but I couldn't get it to happen! I decided not to pursue that problem further.

I took the tech for a ride, and sure enough, no squeaking in the seat as well! However, I was able to convince him that I knew enough about where it was coming from, he was willing to order the parts to fix it per the latest TSB that was issued (not the one that suggests cutting the locater pins). So that was happy news.

While the tech was in the car, I turned off the air conditioner, and then pressed the off button. I then selected the medium fan speed, and I was able to get the car to duplicate the problem that I mentioned earlier in this thread. The sound of the air changed all on its own (sounding faster) without me touching anything. He heard it as well, but he didn't think it was a problem needing to be solved. After much discussion, I at least got them to document it, though. Hopefully that should save me if it becomes a problem after the car is out of warranty.

12. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update: I am very pleased to report that the dealer replaced (under warranty) the front seat lower trim section, and after 3 days my squeaking has not returned! I'm elated that this problem is fixed, hopefully for good!

On the other hand, I still have occasionally experienced the weird climate control issue mentioned earlier (fan speed occasionally changing by itself in manual mode). In addition to that, I've noticed that the display does not always indicate the ice coming on to charge the battery. With the heat on in the winter and when I'm stopped, sometimes the engine will come on to charge the battery. However, when this occurs there is no indication of it (the icon in the display doesn't show it). Otherwise, the display seems to function correctly while I'm driving...it's only when I'm stopped that it doesn't seem to work.

Is this abnormal, and could it be another symptom somehow related to what I described earlier with the climate control?

13. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If engine start is commanded based on temperature, I don't think it displays on the energy screen. There are a couple quirks like that with the energy screen.. a more knowledgeable poster will be able to provide additional detail.

I don't think it's related to your climate control issue. Does the fan speed change when the MFD is only on the climate screen, or does it happen no matter what is on the MFD?

14. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for clearing that up regarding the energy screen...that's kind of what I thought, but then again I never noticed that quirk before.

Regarding the climate control, the symptom occurs whether or not the climate control screen is displayed. When it has occurred with the climate control display, the corresponding change in air speed is not indicated in the display of the fan selector speed.