1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I really need a Inverter Coolant change?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PPENDOR, Sep 10, 2014.

1. PPENDOR

PPENDOR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Prius experts,
    I just got a 2006 Prius and I brought to Toyota dealer to do a regular oil change. After that, been told that I'll need a Inverter Coolant and Transaxle fluid change in next maintenance point.

Okay, this prius already has 111,000 mile now.

When I came back and checked its maintenance records on Toyota website, I found the previous owner had brought it back to dealer on that recall about inverter water pump. The record indicates that water pump had been replaced on 71,000 mile.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome to priuschat! use your maintenance manual to determine what you need, don't listen to the dealer. on the other hand, many here recommend the tranny service, even though toyota calls it 'lifetime'. gotta give the dealer credit there, they usually don't want to do it even when you ask. all the best!(y)

Lukey51 likes this.
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In a regular vehicle, I've always changed coolant every two years.

In my Prius, I expect to change coolant every three years.

Coolant is a lot cheaper than replacing a heater core or an inverter.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For the life of me, I cannot understand people who spend 20k+ USD on a car and then quibble over oil and coolant maintenance. If money is in short supply then DIY !

Fifine and Mike500 like this.
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can't go wrong doing a maintenance item earlier, as Mike points out. But you can go wrong by greatly delaying it, or not doing it at all.

The 2006 Prius maintenance guide lists Engine and Inverter coolant to be changed at 100K miles, then every 50K miles/5 years. LINK
    Your Toyota maintenance search showed no Inverter coolant being changed, thus the Dealer's recommendation for a change;11K miles OVERDUE.
    The water pump was changed at 71K miles. Its inferred that the Dealer drained the coolant on the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) side, before replacing the water pump, then refilled with new SLLC. The ICE coolant will need to be replaced at 121K miles.

Info copy/pasted from Art's Automotive: LINK
    1) Toyota SLLC is just regular ethylene glycol silicate-free premixed coolant with pink dye, and ethylene glycol coolant has had a 2-3 year service interval for as long as I can remember.
    2) The components it protects (the HV transaxle & inverter) will set you back about $7000, just for the parts!
    3) The idea is to replace the coolant before it goes bad to provide continuous protection.
    FYI
    Toyota feels their SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant, Pink color) is good for 50,000 miles/5 years, after the initial drain/fill maintenance at 100,000 miles/10 years. LLC (Long Life Coolant, Red color), is good for 30,000 miles/2 years. Prius should only be using SLLC.

#5 exstudent, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Silver Pine Mica and Mike500 like this.
  6. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Please do not presume that the inverter coolant is automatically changed when the inverter pump recall is done. ASK to be sure.

The dealership that performed the recall on my car said that the Tech would clip the hose (to prevent full drainage), change out the pump and top off whatever amount was lost. Estim. amount was about 1 qt. So the system would still have 75% "old" fluid in it.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly,

Most dealers are going to do as little as possible to boost their bottom line. They don't own your car. They are there to make money.

Lukey51 likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a strange answer from the dealer. The recall notice says they must change the coolant, but we all know they probably don't. But just strange they admitted to not doing it.

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A "liar by omission" would say he did change the coolant, but would rationalize it by saying, but NOT ALL of it.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any opinion on clamping coolant lines? Can they take it?

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sure; they are rubber hoses.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see why fresh coolant should be wasted, so I accept that sometimes it is reasonable to clamp and only replace that fraction lost. If the mechanic charges only for what he uses in coolant I think they are being ethical.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked several times to be sure. Why pay for a coolant change if the fluid will be replaced during the inverter pump swap?

The Rep. was surprised by my presumption. He was not shy in stating that the procedure was to clamp the hose and thus minimizing the coolant that would leak out.

As Rude person's said, more $$$$ saved by the dealer.

If you have the text of the recall that plainly requires the full coolant change as well, I may pursue a reimbursement.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is the Technical service bulletin on the repair. They are given 2 gallons of SLLC to do this job. Good luck having that service guy remember his admission of "clamping the hose". He'll most likely tell you they changed the coolant as it states on the technical bulletin.

http://lusciousgarage.com/images/uploads/T-CP-A0N-A510-D.pdf

I just asked one of the Toyota techs on this forum......he also doesn't change the coolant, just clamp the hose. So this is enough proof for me, they don't change it.....(but he can't speak for the other techs). I'm assuming this is standard practice.

15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nearly 50 years of owning and working on cars, I have come to the conclusion that...

Unless you are incapable or just don't care, when you want it done RIGHT, you have to do it yourself.

Brian Adcock likes this.
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How much is your time worth ? DIY takes all of 15 - 30 minutes

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They clamp the hoses using 2 duckbill pliers that are made to clamp rubber hoses.

From the mechanics point of view its quite time consuming to change the ICE coolant. Its a flat out pain and many a dealer from posts we see can't get it right. Probably because of time constraints and a bitching customer. Many many posts here about ICE coolant change and now I hear gurgling under the dash. The CHRS really makes it tough to get the airlock out of it and a lift does not help much.

That and they'd have your car all day. Which you would bitch about.

Having done a full ICE coolant change its now never again. I just dump the rad only every time I change the oil. No airlock and it really helps.
    This car is very easy on ICE coolant and very hard on Inverter coolant.

You should do the Inverter coolant every 30,000 miles as it protects the Invert and trans. Its easy, quick, and cheap.

Inverter coolant is extremely easy to change.

m.wynn and SageBrush like this.
  18. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HAHA

Good to be you Mike!!!

Every time I try a DYI I break something taking the piece out or "forcing" it back in! :eek: :oops:

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Been there, done that.
    You need an experienced person to look over your shoulder one time. I bet it would be easy to find a volunteer in So Cal if you can make the drive.

DIY'ers are always looking for conversion opportunities ;)

20. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clarification:
    My time was apparently worth $150, plus tax, which was what I paid for the inverter coolant service when I was at the dealership for the inverter pump recall.
    Thought I get that taken care of while the car was getting serviced anyway.

Now, IF the coolant change was supposed to be part of the recall, I should not have been basically double-charged.