1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I really need a new car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jinxi, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Jinxi

Jinxi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I currently drive a Prius from 2010, third gen. I own this car for 10 year now and I start noticing the lack of power in this car.

Mileage: 350.000 KM

My feeling: The car doesn't accelerate as fast as before.

question: Is there something I can do about it? If I have to replace the engine, I would prefer to buy a new car. What is likely to be the cause of this slow acceleration?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the car showing a check engine light or the big red triangle?
    Are air filter, spark plugs, oil change maintenance up to date?
    Has anything been done to help ensure the fuel injectors are clean and have a good spray pattern?
    Has the MAF sensor ever been cleaned?
    Is the brake system maintenance up to date. Any chance a brake may be dragging. It happens sometimes when a brake pad doesn't retract properly if a slide pin sticks from lack of lubrication.
    Maybe the parking brake isn't fully releasing?
    Maybe the HV battery is just getting weak and hasn't quit gotten bad enough to trigger a code.

Most, but not all, items will throw a diagnostic trouble code if they far enough out of whack

#2 TMR-JWAP, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  3. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have you checked/cleaned HV battery filter and duct work/fan

How is that 12v battery?

Checked drivers floor mat?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, new car. nice run, all the best

Merkey likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cars are designed for a specific lifespan, and while it's very possible to keep one in service for many years and miles (kilometers) PAST that lifespan, it may not be wise to do so in your particular case.

Many factors will determine whether or not this is a good time for a new car including what you use the car for, your ability to maintain a car well past it's design lifespan, how much money you can afford to spend for a new car, or another used car, etc...etc...

Without more details it is impossible to say.
    if your engine is running NOW, then your car almost certainly does not need a new engine, but rather it might need some significant maintenance to keep you from NEEDING a new engine. Your mechanical knowledge or access to an honest mechanic might keep this car going for another 5-10 years or it might be time for you to get a new car NOW while it still runs.

As I said before...without more details it's impossible to say.

ODDs are that your current car is going to become far less dependable without some considerable maintenance, so for you, it might be time to consider getting a newer model.

Good Luck!

Merkey likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2nd gen life span, from testimony here, seems to be anywhere between 200K and 300K miles. 3rd gen, if you don't get on the EGR/Intake cleanout, you're looking at 100K~200K.

I'm not sure that was by design, more likely a half-baked design.