1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I "really" need these things done?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Freedom, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One added "service" that you could perform yourself is to check the engine air filter. I see many owners over the years have messed with cleaning the throttle body but I am not sure why. I change my engine filter at once a year.

My '05 Prius (bought new) now has 345,000+ miles on it and has had the spark plugs changed only once and the rear drum brakes twice. My '08 Prius just passed 200,000 miles (bought in 2013 with 64,000 mi.)

Neither car has had the battery fan serviced, never messed with the hybrid batteries or had any other ICE engine work performed with the exception of replacing the ICE water pump a few years back in both vehicles due to 'weeping'. These cars are built to be driven and LAST!

My biggest problem is corrosion due to snow on the roads from October to April.

While you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to check your cabin air filter. Another quick maintenance item that you can do yourself!

kenoarto likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The reason why is because the Classic Prius was especially susceptible to engine no-start due to a sticking throttle plate. 2G is less susceptible, however there are still some reported instances of P3190 or P3191 which indicate low engine power or no-start. In those cases it is good to catch up on any deferred maintenance and clean the throttle body interior.

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. egn83b

egn83b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you plan on keeping your car 5 more years do the simple maintenance your self but if you cheap out its gonna cost alot more later then you might not have enough money to fix it. Main thing to stay on top of is coolant and transmission flush and making sure your brakes work. The dealer will make all kinds of excuses to fill your blinker fluids.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I might be the minority that says I would get the Oil Drain Pan replaced.
    It looks pretty beat up. And even if it's not leaking right now? There is a dent that seems to encroach on the plug itself. I'd be worried about it starting to leak and/or inadvertently hitting something again, and it then becoming a problem, without knowing it.

The plug looks pretty rusted too....

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1) Spark Plugs - Due at 120K, but every 10 years may not be a bad idea. Plugs CAN get seized in the cylinder head due to age and this can become a very expensive repair.

2) Rear Brakes - A Gen 2 Prius (04-09) uses rear drum brakes. The assembly gets dusty and prevents the self-adjusters from working properly. A proper clean, lube and adjust periodically is important.

3) Fan Service for Hybrid Battery - if you constantly transport pets or live in a dusty area, you should consider cleaning.

4) Oil Pan- if the oil pan has dents this can cause oil starvation on windy roads or in uphill conditions; if your pan is dented I would HIGHLY recommend replacement.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Been doing that one myself annually, thanks to the training on here! I do it every Spring, AFTER the pinwheels from the maple trees drop. Unfortunately I can seldom get the thing closed up afterwards, and end up going to the dealership and begging one of the techs to just push on it and close the clip in the glove compartment for me.

I'll see about the engine air filter, I think I can manage that myself too. Thank you.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the glove box assembly is a pain, and typical toyota cost cutting