1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I still want a Prius C ?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by badbasic, Jul 23, 2013.

1. badbasic

badbasic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Long story short. my work is moving making my 20 min drive to an hr. finally decided to jump on a prius c. 4 days, 4 dealerships, 10 emails, 7 phone calls and I am no further along than when I started. I am doing everything online. Original deal was for a leftover 2012 five hours away. 2 days w/o communication from them and I already had my financing arranged (check in hand) last email was information for a 2013 in the wrong color and 2k worth of TTL. Needless to say, it's still there. After contacting 3 other dealerships it hasn't got any better. One sent an automated response w/ phone #. I didn't want to call the salesman but I did since my "online price quote" was "call dealer for a great deal". 30 rings ----no answer. call the main sales #, 40 rings----no answer, called the main switchboard and asked to speak w/ management---- no answer but the receptionist did take my name & # and would have a member of management contact me asap---- can u guess? NO ANSWER. One dealership actually had on online chat but they lost interest in me when I would not give them my phone number. I told my wife that it's shame that I finally made the commitment to buy a yuppie Prius, arranged my own financing and no one wants to sell me one unless I put foot to pavement. Do I still want a Prius C?

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Dealerships aren't controlled by the manufacturer. Unfortunately, most are awful, but the only way to punish them is to not buy a car from them... The C is absolutely worth it if you have an hour drive. That is what my drive is and I have 100% zero regrets.

TatumRob, Stevie and badbasic like this.
  3. badbasic

badbasic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The worse thing is, I used to work @ dealership. I know that each contact is important. Most dealerships still sell the old way of get them here to the dealership & then we can apply the pressure. I have bought 3 of my last 5 cars over the phone. It can be done. One of the worst offenders in my ordeal is even a volume dealer, you know the ones where they go thru as many salesmen as they do cars. I have succumbed to calling my old dealership just to see what they will do. we'll see.

4. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    For what I see is the problem from the dealership, nothing related with the C.

carolD likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's unfortunate, i emailed 3 dealers and got 3 quotes, it's the best way to go. sorry, i don't have suggestions if they won't respond. is there a shortage, how many do they show in inventory?

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good luck. Don't give up. If you can't find anything, I can give you the email of my online salesman that I went through, maybe she can do something for you. She was 0% pressure and let me work at my own speed. She never once tried to call me or make me give her any information.

carolD and JMD like this.
  7. want_a_c

want_a_c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I contacted a dozen dealerships (including some out of state) and negotiated by email with the ones that responded. Ended up getting a C a fair amount under MSRP a year ago.
    Not sure my strategy would have worked if I only had 4 dealers nearby.

8. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That sucks that the dealers won't work with you. I did all of my research online and contacted a bunch of dealers. I was lucky enough to find the only one in my area with the trim package and color I wanted at DCH who has been awesome online. I got my quote emailed to me and had 0 hassle when I went for my test drive and to sign the paperwork.

9. R Scneider

R Scneider Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I only went between 3 dealers on-line departments to get the price of my C3 under $20K. The kicker was every one of them would take off $500 on the lowest price quote to sell the car. Show them the lowest quote and they would beat it. After you work the price down some more you remind them they offered the extra $500 not to walk. I was getting phone calls to test drive and talk about price quotes for 2 weeks after I bought mine. Bought it at the closest dealer to my house who had a shuttle service.

Can't understand why none of them would call you back.
    Good luck on the search.

PS, Plan on testing mine in rental week change over traffic to the Outer banks on Sat.

10. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm so glad I live in Cali where no matter where I'm at, there's a toyota dealership around the corner

And I easily got price quotes and buncha responses from dealers and the dealers seem to want the business and a hell lot of competition to get my business

11. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Too bad. I would recommend my salesman if you were closer to SE Mo. I did work on line but got my best deal locally. Most salesmen know that folks are working online for the best deals. I should say many salesmen/women, and try to offer the best deal they can. That is how I got my local dealership to meet my price.
    Dan

12. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Not sure where you are, but Devin @ Midwest Toyota in Kansas is freaking awesome. I flew from KY and drove my C2 home. He was WAY cheaper than any other dealer near my (18,989 + 300 dealer fees) AND I got 0% toyota financing for 5 years. I flew one way, last minute, stayed in a hotel, and meals + gas and all other stuff I dealt with to go get it and I still saved over 2k compared to local dealers... If he's anywhere near you give him a yell!

badbasic likes this.
  13. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    same fun here in Australia I emailed the city dealership and got the, come on in for a test drive, bring in your trade in for appraisal messages when all I wanted was a price, was lucky to walk into my local dealer and see a salesman I used to work with, I said ok no BS what's the best price, if it wasn't for that I would still be fighting with dealers

badbasic likes this.
  14. robtco99

robtco99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I used truecar.com to get the best deal on my Prius C . It was considerably cheaper than most of the email quotes I got

badbasic likes this.
  15. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I think I just got lucky. After having done all my research, I walked in off the street to see a dealer late on a Sunday afternoon, looking for a test drive. After the drive we sat down with the clock definitely ticking towards the end of trading hours and came to a number I was comfortable with. We got there a little too easily which means I could have done better, but whatever.

It probably helps in this case that there are far fewer options here in Australia... the same colour selection but then it only applies to "base model" and "i-Tech". The full smorgasboard of 1, 2, 3, 4, sun-roof, no-sunroof, 15" wheels, 16" wheels, etc. seems to be tripping a lot of people up in the US, from what I've noticed on these threads.

16. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Great. Welcome to the ownership crowd. I am about to get my 20k oil change. The salesman sent me a note Monday wanting to know if he could do anything for me. I said yes, throw in one more free oil change when I hit 30k. He said "done". Printed that email and will save it.
    I realize some have been disallusioned by the C. But, if we go into the purchase knowing what we are buying and why, I think this is one great little car. Our's is fun to drive with the upgrades that we have done to it. Even has matching chrome "gt" emblems under the Prius C and Hybrid emblems.
    Dan

minkus and badbasic like this.
  17. badbasic

badbasic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Rob. This goes w/ what I posted earlier about foot to pavement. If you show up on the lot, you must be serious about buying. We get you to test drive the car to create a feel of ownership. This is a little harder to do when you work a rotating swing shift. This is why I chose to do the leg work online. I can research on my time and not the dealership's time. As far as the options, I know what I want, but I know what I can afford so the list of options is limited.

18. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

As an automotive engineer and dealership 'practitioner' over more than 4 decades let me assure you that what you have experienced is what sales people are taught. I can verify by my recent purchase. Out of 8 dealers contacted by email only 2 responded to my proiposal which is based on explicit information: the wholesale price of the Prius C2 and color I wanted and the wholesale value of my trade-in honestly evaluated and the amount I was willing to pay in difference (my trade-in was paid off so there was no added cost to devaluer my cash trade-in value). Think of the internet as only the way to cut out the inept; and it still means you will have to go to the dealerships that are competent sellers. You can't buy a car only on the net.
    Only the two dealers readily agreed with the caveat that they had to inspect my trade-in to assure iuts trade-invaue. Taxes, tags, title were additional to my purchase offer. I visited both dealerships and bought my Prius in an hour from thed sxecond because he saved another hundred bucks on my trade-in. The problem is that nearly all sales people are ignorant of the financial parts of purchasing a new car so theyt are merely 'glad-handers'
    All other dealers merely wanted me to visit and lets talk. When you see the talk about using internet for increasing sakles its only to encourage potential buyers to visit..
    as for manufacturers not controilling how dealerships sell any idea of independence is nonsense. Manufacxturers regularly hold classes to sdalespeople instructing them on how to maximize the extraction from buyers and if you don't you won't be there long.
    Go back to your dealers selected and offer them your proposal with the provision that any trade-in was subject to their inspection. Likewise if you have your own financing just keepo the offer a cash payment proposal. Right now there are several dealer rebates on the 2012's and also 2013's so offer at most $500 profit o n the difference between net trade-in and new wholesale and make sure you state that profit includes that ADP item of $300 in new car documentation or such like. Don't be afraid to walk away if they don't co-operate. The buying and selling business is a knife fight just like many video games. And be aware that dealers can trade Prius bewteen themselves so the fact a favored dealer doresn't have exactly what you does not mean he can't get it for you shortly.

badbasic likes this.
  19. R Scneider

R Scneider Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Great analogy. (y)

20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I bought my car only on the internet. I didn't meet my dealer until I came in to sign the paperwork. We already had all terms agreed to.