1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do Mudguards require drilling into painted chassis?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by srivenkat, Nov 1, 2012.

1. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Folks,

I have been thinking about installing mudguards on my Prius but am concerned that they might require drilling into the painted chassis portions which I want to avoid since that could cause the drilled portions to start to rust.

Also I am concerned that salt could get into any crevices in between the guard and the back side of it causing those portions to rust over time. Are these unfounded? I hope they are, but would appreciate confirmation and encouragement that on balance the mudguards would protect the car.

Thanks.

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, no "metal" part needs to be drilled. Some plastic, like the rear bumber rail at the inside back edge of the wheel weld needs to be drilled.

3. JMG

JMG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wanted to also confirm this...you'll drill into the lip of your bumper cap with a self-tapping screw but other than that, no body work.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Correct! You may need to drill plastic rocker cover, too. But, NEVER in the metal

Since some of the screws and clips are "blackened" or phosphated steel, I coated them will "rustproofing." LPS3 can be used for the same thing.

I just hate rust on a car.