1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do not use front defrost for extended periods- cracks windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ohiobikes, Jan 30, 2018.

1. ohiobikes

ohiobikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From my NHTSB report- Friday January 12, 2018, drove vehicle 3.5 hours on highway during period of declining temperatures- 34 to 29 Fahrenheit, with snow beginning hour 2.5. Operated front defrost continuously for entire 3.5 hour trip with cabin temp between 72 and 75F. Made 2 stops, 10 minutes each- one at 1.5 hours and one at 3 hours. Parked overnight in home garage at end of trip. Air temp declined to 19F overnight. Backed car out of garage in morning and windshield cracked at centerline of front defrost vent. Crack has continued to expand to points almost exactly 5 inches beyond each end of defrost vent, then stopped expanding. Passenger side (right side) crack is aligned exactly with centerline of defrost vent. At point 5" outboard of vent, passenger side crack turns down and extends to bottom edge of windshield. Driver (left side) crack is parallel to vent on line 3" below vent, then turns up, crosses vent, and parallels vent 3" above vent to termination of crack at 5" outboard of vent. Nothing impacted windshield during trip and windshield was not cracked at end of trip. Engineering defect- inadequate glass strength- unable to use defroster for extended periods. Crack created by stress from localized thermal expansion- aligned with heat source of defroster vent at lower middle region of windshield. This is first extended use of defroster in car- purchased May 2018. Currently has 21,800 miles.

RCO likes this.
  2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Wait so, it was only after sitting overnight that it began to crack? You didn't notice it starting to crack during your drive?

3. ohiobikes

ohiobikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was not cracked when it went into the garage. It occurred as the window cooled over night.

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to me, this means the windshield is stressed during installation.

5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You mean May 2017? Keep us informed on this, will Toyota be replacing the windshield? No, it definitely should not happen. Hopefully there will not be more incidents like this.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Why would you have the defrost/defog setting on for 3.5 hrs ?
    Once the the windshield is clear (in minutes), switch to Auto, the car then keeps the screen clear automatically.
    I would say user error not defect/design fault.

RCO, pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. ohiobikes

ohiobikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, May 2017. My mind is already committed to 2018, I guess. I'm not sure if there is a stress point in the glass caused by the installation procedure, of it there was a defect in this particular glass, or if the glass expansion caused by the not particularly hot 72-75 degree defroster heat simply exceeded the performance specification of the glass. I initially turned the defrost off once the interior of the glass was cleared, but it fogged up again almost immediately. I then left it on for the duration of the trip. I didn't want to be distracted by constantly turning it on and off and having my vision obscured when the defrost was off. Weather conditions were as warm as it can be for snow to occur- low 30s, but also very high humidity. So, conducive for fogging the window. And In my 33+ years of driving, with approximately 1 million miles driven, I've not had a situation where operating the defroster broke a windshield. The fact that both ends of the crack terminate 5 inches from the ends of the defrost vent indicate to me that the temperature gradient was a factor- the glass was compromised to the location where the temperature declined due to the distance from the heat source. Beyond that 5", the glass wasn't warm enough to fail. This should be a situation that can be reproduced by Toyota engineers- with their own windshield, not mine!

8. ohiobikes

ohiobikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've taken it to 2 dealerships in central Ohio and they told me that Toyota will not cover windshields under warranty. I have called Toyota's customer service number and was told that Toyota does not replace windshields under warranty. Which, in this case, is absurd.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have a Two or Two ECO? I believe they may have different windshields. The ECO was announced to have heat shielding glass.

10. ohiobikes

ohiobikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two Eco

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it explicitly listed as excluded in their supplied documentation? If not, they may be legally obligated.

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Two.
    I suspect the heat shielding windshield breaks easier, based on reports here.
    My wife had a situation during a wind & rain storm with our Two where she was surprised the windshield did not break. Winds blew the car sideways across a 2 lane road!

13. ohiobikes

ohiobikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not looked, since they have a fundamental obligation to make it right. I operated factory-installed equipment in the manner in which it was intended to be operated- for my safe operation of the vehicle- and at far less than its maximum capacity even, and the proper use of that equipment damaged an adjacent part of the vehicle. This needs to be resolved by Toyota. Period.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. ohiobikes

ohiobikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prodigyplace- your experience did not relate to heating and cooling of the glass, though. Heat appears to be the primary factor in this windshield failure. Sounds like your wife had quite an experience. I'm glad she's ok.

15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know much about air bags but I know some have very strict rules about windshield replacement because the air bag has to push against the windshield to perform the way it is intended. If there is a problem with these windshields it could affect the safety of the passenger. I would file a complaint with the NHTSA. JMO

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume that is what they meant in post 1.

17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This won't help the OP, but others may prefer to redirect airflow to windscreen immediately following the full frost function. Heat will still enter the cabin but not full heat to screen. Also, the temperature setting should not be set at but rather at a lower, ideal comfortable temp. I suspect that rapid changes in temperature are most likely to cause such cracking as OP experienced.